X: investigation checklist .. ✩

chapter ten .. investigation checklist

﹥┈┈┈┈*⛧⋆

virgo's pov

The gusting wind howled like violin chords of a sad song, feeling cold and harsh enough to cut skin. Dust is layered over the town center, most ducking for cover while the wind sweeps away others.

My heart...hurt. God, it hurt. I was glued to the ground, my nails digging into the gravel, and my eyes fixed on my trembling body; I couldn't lift my head.

What....was happening...?

My throat felt dry, impossible to speak. Muffled screams and cries of anguish surrounded me, sending a chill across my body even as it burned like I was caught in the hottest flames.

"....go!"

A voice broke through but only partially, and I forced myself to lift my head. It burned...God, it burned, and I shook like crazy as I tried to keep myself upright.

My eyes lifted upward, and I felt my entire body go cold, catching a glimpse of a bright flash of green before my vision went dark.

"..VIRGO...!"

.
.
.

          "Hrrgh..!" A burning sensation lingered as I gasped for air, my eyes flying open and darting around in a silent panic.

The familiarity of my room eased my racing heart, which thumped in sync with my pounding head. I inhaled, breathing in the lavender scent from the incense I had burnt and feeling around my carpeted floor to get a grasp of reality, recovering from what I witnessed.

Another one of those weird ass dreams, and more obscure than ever. This time, I couldn't see anyone or understand anything that was happening...all I could see was the central plaza and destruction in its wake.

          "Man..." I cleared my throat, still recovering. I force myself to sit up, a sharp sting crawling up my spine.

I had slept on the floor, an old sleeping bag and some flat pillows being the only thing to cushion my body. Taurus had occupied my bed after I insisted she sleep there—I mean, it was the least I could do for a girl who'd been sleeping in a dungeon for half a year.

          "Rise and shine..! We got a lot of shit to do." I murmured, forcing myself to stand and wobbling as my legs nearly gave out.

Pushing the odd dream to the back of my mind, I look over at my bed, seeing Taurus and feeling lighter, as her presence was a great contrast to my dream.

Fast asleep and curled up underneath a couple of wool blankets, she slept on her side and made herself as comfortable as she could with those restraints, her cheek pressed against one of my better pillows. It was probably the best sleep she'd gotten in a while.

My smile faded, pity blooming in my gut. We were on borrowed time right now, and who knows when we'd run out. Based on what we investigated last night, there was a lot to uncover, and there was even a possibility that we might prove Taurus innocent..!