XXIX: the last testimony .. ✩

chapter twenty-nine .. the last testimony

﹥┈┈┈┈*⛧⋆

Pisces was stiff, clinging to the hem of her nightgown as her head was swarmed with confusion, the words from her mother leaving a bad taste in her mouth.

"...What?"

She felt she had asked this a hundred times already, but she just had to make sure. Her mother's uneasy expression doesn't ease her nerves, only further plunging fear into her heart.

"I witnessed the end of my life. Absolute destruction and..." Queen Equuleus clasped her hands together, nervously pacing her room.

          "How—how is that even possible?" Pisces asked, fidgeting her leg. "How did you see it...?"

Queen Equuleus shrugged. "That, I don't know. Just that it happens a month from now."

A month. Pisces felt sick to her core, holding her breath to keep herself from retching. She couldn't imagine it...her mother—dead? No, no, that wasn't possible.

          "Who does it? Do you know?" Pisces scowled, noticing her mother's wavering expression.

The older woman shook her head.

          "Well—we can get a search going. Look for anybody—anything suspicious and—"

"That's not why I called you in here, Pisces."

The blonde faltered, her mother's dejected tone only causing her skin to crawl with goosebumps.

"If anything were to happen...if anything bad were to happen to me, then I—" Queen Equuleus could barely say what she wanted to, startled by Pisces suddenly jumping up.

"Nothing will happen to you." The young princess said with wavering confidence, her legs wobbling.

Seeing she was struggling to keep herself upright, the queen held her daughter by the shoulders and sighed, unable to meet her frustrated eyes.

"It's only a premonition, but I fear nothing can be done to prevent it."

          "Like hell, it can't!" Pisces spat back, not hesitating to put her foot down.

          "Pisces..." The queen was less frustrated and more hurt, her grip on the blonde shaking.

Then the room fell quiet, the two women taking the news quite hard. Pisces was shaking in her mother's grip so much that she wanted to bury her face and cry, but she couldn't bring herself to shed a tear.

She wouldn't grieve. Not yet.

          "Does dad know?" She asked, masking the shakiness in her voice.

Queen Equuleus shook her head. "You know how your father is. He would cause a stir and devote his time trying to prevent this."

Pisces only heard the first part of the queen's answer, firmly nodding their head. "We're going to prevent this."

Her mother pouted. "....I forgot how similar to your father you were."