XIX: run for the trees .. ✩

chapter nineteen .. run for the trees

﹥┈┈┈┈*⛧⋆

If his grip were any tighter on this glass, it would've shattered by now.

Virgo met the looks of the people who, in his opinion, came off as uncaring and apathetic. He couldn't express his disappointment or hurt, knowing they'd all turned their backs on their friend.

Wasn't the saying "innocent until proven guilty"? Virgo hadn't seen a shred of definitive proof, just speculations fabricated in a way to look like evidence, which ended up incriminating Taurus. Even with all the holes and loose ends, they didn't care as long as they weren't getting the boot.

And how fucked up was that?

          "I'm not letting go of anything. I can't believe you can even say that!" Virgo hit his fist against the table, making his silverware jump.

Leo had been trying to settle him, holding out her hands while doing that calming motion. "Virgo, plea–"

          "THERE! IT'S HER!"

A blood-curdling shout from one of the knights outside made Virgo and everyone else at the dinner table freeze, unsettled by how the voice carried across the room.

          "What the heck was that?!" Libra exclaimed, flinching as Scorpio rose from his chair.

He had this serious look on his face, pulling away from the table at once. The other two knights present, Aries and Gemini, followed suit not a second later, panic in their eyes as they leave the room. Soon it was like a conga line, with everyone rising from their seats and heading off to see the commotion as their curiosity was piqued.

Virgo shakily stands, his head spinning as he tailed behind Capricorn, who was speed-walking in front of him. The more shouting he heard from the foyer, the more he felt dread latch onto his body, slowing his movements. The dinner he consumed felt like it was soon to come up, his stomach roused with unease.

          "Oh my god!" Virgo stepped into the foyer as he heard Libra's shout, squeezing in between the small crowd and freezing up at the scene before him.

He sees what he'd been dreading since the first shout, his heart working overtime to pump blood into his weak limbs, now struggling to stand. He lost his breath, a cold sensation washing over his body.

Taurus was there, surrounded. A flood of knights had rushed into the foyer, creating a circle around her with an assortment of weapons in their possession; crossbows, and spears, all pointed at someone unarmed. Their target appeared small in the presence of their intimidating stance, shrinking back as her wide, fearful eyes frantically looked around.

          "Taurus...!" Virgo says breathlessly, staggering back in shock.

How did this...she was supposed to be in his room..! What happened to staying hidden...?

          "Ah! Catch her, now!" Libra cried out like she was being threatened, holding up her phone and facing the camera towards the commotion. Boy, did Virgo want to smack that stupid device of hers out of her hand.

Everyone was in a frenzy, their chatter intertwining and creating a mess of indistinguishable words. The knights were on guard, slowly closing in on Taurus while she freaked out.