chapter 2

2.

Hester had to admit- taking care of three rats at once was no easy feat. As she walked to class, they bounced up and down in her pockets. She took a seat and one rat crawled into her hair. As much as she didn't want to admit it, it was her choice to carry them around with her. They made her feel as if Anadil was still here. Lady Lesso approached her desk before class started.

"Hester."

"Yes?"

"You know Anadil quite well, right?"

The question made her uncomfortable, even if she didn't know why. She has never known someone this well.

"I guess, yeah. Why?"

"When she returns from her mother's house, take care of her. I know her mother and the type of woman she is. She won't come back the same. Just look out for her, alright?"

Quite frankly, Hester didn't know what had happened to Lady Lesso. Maybe the ice has gotten to her head- she's usually so mean and cold. Why is she being so caring? Hester thought. Normally, Lady Lesso says not to care about anyone, stay alone, and never have friends because they will literally stab you in the back (or heart). So why the change of heart? But she obliged anyway.

"I will, don't worry about it."

"Alright," Lady Lesso said, returning to her unapproachable self. "You better have done the homework."

- - -

"I heard that Agrona's maids make 200k a year working for her." Agatha whispered to Sophie. "But like, I'm pretty sure she's like a war criminal or something," Sophie whispered back.

Hearing everyone talk about Ani's mother made Hester's blood boil. Hester didn't specifically know what her mother had done, but she had to be a horrible person for Lady Lesso to comment on her. How did Agatha and Sophie even have time to gossip about Agrona? Shouldn't they be trying to go home or something?

Hester groaned, trying not to think about how she was worrying about Anadil so much, but then she started worrying about her more. She just didn't want her henchman to be hurt- that was all.

- - -

The next day, Anadil laid in her bed, not wanting to go downstairs. Someone knocked on the door.

"Anadil?" it was Bal. "Your mother has requested me to take you somewhere, we will meet her there." Anadil sighed.

"Okay, I'll be out in a sec,"

Anadil sat in the car next to Bal. She thought it was a little funny how her mom hated her so much, she couldn't sit in the same car as her for a couple minutes (she didn't actually know where they were going, so it could be more than that. Who knows?). Anadil was surprised when their final destination was Bloodbrook Hospital, the one she was born in.

"What are we doing here?"

"I'm not sure. Your mother just requested me to drive you here."

Anadil was confused, but exited the car and walked inside the building. Her mother was in the lobby, her legs crossed.

"Follow me."

Her mother stopped in front of a small room in the section of the hospital where patients give birth (the maternity wing??? idrk). Anadil followed her and stood next to her in front of the hospital bed there.

"Let me tell you a story," Agrona said, sitting down in a chair in the room with her legs crossed. Anadil didn't sit next to her, not wanting to look at her. She instead remained in front of the hospital bed, waiting for what horrors her mother was about to say.