chapter 3

3. (anadil's pov)

My eyes snap open. I look around. Where am I? I realize I'm in my room. Why am I lying on the floor? I glance at the door- it is slightly open. I see a couple drops of blood near the door. What is going on? I try to sit up. A shooting pain runs through my back and my arms. I gasp and lie back down on the floor and some of it comes back to me. The pain that runs through my body is trembling. I stay still- trying not to start up the pain again. I glanced at my arms- they are covered in purple bruises. I don't remember much; I must've blacked out. But my temperature feels high and I'm always quite cold.

I'm one of the most feared witches at school. People part for me in the hallways in terror. I don't have feelings. But despite all this, I need to call for help. As much as I would like to be able to get back to school and pretend it's all fine, I can't even sit up. I crawl backwards towards the door. There is a button there that will call the servants. I struggle lifting my arm up, but I reach the button and click it. I sigh when the speakerphone clicks on.

"Anadil?" I recognize her voice- it's Sylvia.

"Sylvia?" I whisper. "I need help. Now. Can you get Bal too?" Sylvia doesn't say anything for a moment, probably confused. I cannot deal with incompetence right now.

"Yes. Right away. We'll be there immediately."

I lie on my back on the floor for what seems like an eternity. The floor feels like brick on my back, but I can't get on my bed. I close my eyes. I don't remember much- I don't want to. Finally, Bal and Sylvia burst the door open.

"Anadil?" he says, worried. Before I can say anything, he picks me up and gently puts me on the bed. I hate this. I hate being weak. I hate my mother. I hate everything.

"Good Lord. This is awful. We need a medic. And bandages and a tonic for healing and the pain for now-" Sylvia starts. I cut her off.

"No. I don't need anything. Just give me a ride to School."

"Anadil. No." Bal says. I watch as Sylvia fishes through the pockets of her dress. She opens up a compact mirror and hands it to me. I try to keep my face level as I painfully pick it up with my less wounded arm and look at my features. I don't know how, but my skin looks paler and there's a red wound near my lip. My skin looks sunken in. I snap the mirror close and place it on my bed. I close my eyes.

"Fine." I whisper. Only because I don't want to look weak when I go back to school. I will remain as the second rank Never. It will all be fine. "No medic though."

Bal stays with me as Sylvia goes to get suppli=es.

"Blanket." I say. Bal obliges, putting up with me as he opens the covers and drapes them over me. The pain is unnerving. I feel so much of it that I get used to it- my body currently feels a little numb. Bal doesn't say anything- which is good. There's nothing I want to say. I begin to sweat even though I feel cold. Sylvie comes back. She comes with a cream that she says will help the pain a little, but mostly get rid of the physical appearance of the wounds. This is what I asked for. I need to look fully healed. Bal leaves the room. I decide not to put it on my arms and back- no one sees them (I mostly keep covered due to easily getting sunburned) and there's not enough of it anyway. I put the regular pain numbing and healing cream everywhere, though. Next, she gives me a disinfectant (which I said was unnecessary) to apply to the wounds.

I put everything on myself- I don't want anyone touching me. Sylvia's hand grazes mine as she takes the disinfectant away.

"Anadil! You're heating up!" she exclaims.

"No I'm not."

"You are!" she goes off with the stuff again, going to get medicine for me and to put the other stuff away. I groan. I'm so sick of this. I literally just want to sleep.

My mind wanders off to school, Hester. Sophie, and how I'm going to kill her someday. I think the fumes of the numbing cream are getting into my head. But I immediately sober up when Sylvia comes in again with a bottle of something.

"I'm not taking that." Bal enters the room. I groan again. They're going to force me. I hate everything.

"You have to. Just one spoon every two hours. You have a fever." Bal says. I snatch the bottle and spoon from Sylvia, pour it into the spoon, and swallow it in one go. It tastes awful. The most horrible thing I've ever tasted.

"Happy?" I put the medicine on my side table. I feel awful again. I feel sick. Tired. In pain. Sore.

"You should get some rest, Anadil." Bal starts. I nod, really just wanting them to leave me alone.

"I'll be back to check on you later," Sylvia says.

They leave the room quietly, locking it and closing the light as they leave. I flop backwards onto the bed. I tell myself they're annoying and overprotective, but I'm grateful to them. Without them, I'd probably still be lying in a heap on the floor right now. I shiver and wrap myself tighter in the blankets. I try to sleep, but my mind goes to my mother. I don't want to remember. I don't want to remember. I repeat. I feel tears threatening to spill but I swallow them down. Nevers don't cry. Nevers don't cry. Nevers. Don't. Cry.