Heat of the Moment (60's AU)

It was a packed night at Gotham's lively late-night club of entertainment. It was here that Arnold commonly performed his "two-for-one special", where he'd do his ventriloquist act at 10 pm, and his showgirl act at 12. Of course, with all the makeup and a well fitted dress, no one knew it was him in both acts, and for his sake, he had to keep it that way. No one of course, except his partner in crime, Scarface. But without the token scar across his cheek at the time, he was known simply as Tony.

       The time now was 9:57 pm, and Arnold was still in his car, caught in a jam.
   "Shoot shoot shoot- I'm so late. They're going to be so upset with me, how will I even make my first act?" He panicked, staring agonizingly at the long line of cars in front of his before slamming his head on the steering wheel.

      When he finally got to the club, his boss was of course much less than pleased with him. His boss, Mr.Alcecci, took him by the arm and yanked him backstage upon his arrival. He and the other showgirls were aware of his second act haptics, but could care less as long as they brought the club more cash.
    "Where have you been? You were supposed to be on stage 30 minutes ago! We had to fill in by getting a drunk on stage and throwing lettuce at him!"
   Arnold could only shrug, shamefully.
"We won't have time to get anything ready for your first act before the next one is scheduled to be on. After that, I expect your showgirl hour at 12 to be good. These people expect a ventriloquist, and I don't care how, but it needs to happen. Figure it out."

   He said before storming off. Arnold gulped. He looked down at the large briefcase in his right hand, the one he'd rushed inside with him 30 minutes late. How was he supposed to preform a showgirl and a ventriloquist at the same time? He sighed. This was already becoming a disaster, he might as well get ready. He hoisted the case with him as he hurriedly made his way to the dressing room.

     The rest of the showgirls giggled upon his entry, some rolling their eyes.
"You're late again Wesker,"
One of them teased.
     "Yes yes I know, don't have to rub it in." The case made a sharp noise as it was hoisted onto the counter.
"Arnie Jesus, you'll make me mess up my liner."
"Sorry sorry, Tony's heavy. And I am not."
      "I'm telling you Arnie, you work out and you'll get a boyfriend easy."
Arnold's face went red. He never openly told anyone that he could be gay, certainly not if it would risk his career, or his life. But when you get in drag every night and wear the same pink bow tie every day, some people might start making assumptions. However, most of the girls in the room still took it as a joke and giggled.
    "Yeah, wouldn't that be something. You're girly enough anyway."
Arnold rolled his eyes and started unbuckling the case. Inside was a very well dressed puppet, complete with a hat, a suit, and strangely prominent eyelashes. Although he'd gotten many cackling full houses with the doll, it's actual expression seemed to be permanently cold. Arnold gently took it out and began dressing it well and tending to any imperfections.

       "Hi Tony," a girl called to the puppet in a sing-song voice. Arnold smiled softly and barely noticed his own hand slipping into its back.
    "Heard you was teasin' queerio over here,"
Came a voice far deeper and rougher than Arnold's, and being proceeded immediately with giggles from across the room.
  "Hey, be nice."
Arnold shot back to the puppet.
"Ain't this funny girls? Dummy's tryin' to give me orders over here."
More laughter. Arnold smirked and continued tending to the puppet as the girls focused less on their show makeup and more to Tony.
    "Ladies please, one at a time."
Arnold liked the attention as much as Tony. He liked being likable. But sometimes he feared that he would be seen as less of 'Arnold the Ventriloquist' and more of 'Lovable Tony and the weird guy that stands behind him.' He thought, if only they knew how it felt. How he felt. Tony. How it felt to be with him, to feel him when he's not there, to hear him when he isn't practicing. The thought made him shiver.