6- waiting

After 5 days of staring at my phone, I'm starting to think Calum deleted my number. Which I should have expected, but it doesn't make me any less dissapointed.

I've spent time exploring Sydney with my dad in the meantime. He rented a condo near Bondi Beach, so we've been walking up and down the coast until our legs nearly fall off every night when he gets home from work. I usually just chill and read around the pool during the day, occaisonally taking an uber to try a new coffee shop or restaurant for lunch. I was holding off on major tourist spots hoping Calum would take me, but it's looking like I may need to put my grown-up pants on, buy a can of mace for my purse, and head out on my own.

"You're going to go cross-eyed if you keep that up," my dad makes fun of me as we wait for our dinner at a little cafe by the beach.

"Ugh," I let out a sigh, "Why are men so confusing?" 

"Isn't that the kind of thing you should ask your mother?" he laughs, obviously new to hearing about my boy problems.

"Well, its 3 am at home so I don't think she'd want to chat right now. You're all I've got. Plus, it's your fault that I'm in this predicament anyways."

"What did I do so terribly again? Last I checked, I flew you out to Australia for a summer to save you a month of rent with your shitty teaching salary."

"I deserved that," I can't help but chucke at his last comment. I do make pretty shit money for my job. "I do really appreciate you helping me this summer, it's just that I met someone on the plane that asked me for my phone number and he still hasn't texted me. I really thought we hit it off. Did I mention he was literally the hottest man I have ever seen in my life."

"You didn't, but I also didn't need to know that," he says, smacking his forehead with the palm of his hand. "Let's just say hypothetically he did call, would you even want to meet up with him? how do you know he's not a loser anyways? Maybe you dodged a bullet."

"Can you stop being a practical, midwestern dad for like 3 seconds and validate my frustration?" I say shaking my hands in the air dramatically. "It would have been different if we just had fun chatting and said a normal 'well that was fun, have fun on your trip' goodbye like most people, but he actually went the extra mile and was so sweet. I just feel a little stupid, I guess."

"I can't help but be a practical, midwestern dad, and say that I think he's the stupid one for not calling you. But you can't let that ruin your time here. You still have 4 more weeks of sun and dad's credit card to do fun things," he reminds me. I wish he wasn't right. There is still so much more opportuity to enjoy myself and make memories, even if they aren't with someone that I thought really liked me. 

Our waitress brings our food shortly after, we eat, have a drink or two, and resume our normal walk along the beach back to the condo. 

As I'm walking up the stairs to my room, I feel my phone buzz in my pocket.