Um Rosto De Mulher

My eyes fluttered open, squinting from the direct sunlight that entered. I didn't remember leaving any of the windows open, so I sat up quickly.

Trees surrounded me, my eyes shot around once I reached my feet. I saw tents and small personal campsites around the wooded area. Rubbing my eyes, I walked toward the first person I saw.

A woman, putting dressing on a burger her husband must have cooked. I reached to tap her shoulder, only to find that my hand went right through.

I stumbled back in confusion, suddenly becoming overwhelmed and whipping around at every noise.

Then I stopped.

A boy, probably a bit younger than Abby, was running around with a toy plane. He imitated the sounds it would make, as he wandered a few meters away from his family's campsite.

But this boy, I recognized.

Having met Mike in middle school, I was familiar with his family. Not as much as his parents since I didn't meet them until high school, but his brother.

He was a few grades below us, but I saw him almost every day. Mike would pick him up after school and I would see him drop his brother off every morning.

I knew that face, I knew it was Garrett.

The idea that dreams have meaning always felt like a myth to me. I've never believed it.

But this... this felt different.

I watched Garrett run around the area, taking slow steps to keep up with him but still keeping some distance.

I ignored the chatter and my eyes stayed on him. Until I heard a thump behind me. Whirling around led me face to face with the Schmidt family.

A bottle had been knocked over and spilt on the table. So I stayed quiet and watched as the woman I once called a second mother, told a young Mike to watch his brother.

I turned and followed after him, realizing that in the short moment I had looked away, Garrett was gone.

Mike's voice came out confused and startled, "Garrett?"

A car revved up and skidded against the dirt. When Mike ran after it, I followed.

Quickly realizing that this is what happened. All those times he told it to me, I could've never imagined what it would feel like to watch it happen.

I ended up a few steps behind the younger Mike when he stopped. Screaming his younger brother's name as the car drove away.

With Garrett, looking at us through the back window.

I felt frozen, knowing there was nothing that I could do.

I heaved a few shaken breaths, glancing forward at the younger mike. Just as he was about to turn around, to come face-to-face with me. I sank.

When you are on the brink of sleep, sometimes your body gives you an adrenaline rush to make sure you're still alive. It gives you the sensation of falling.

And that's what I did.

As if the earth opened up below me, I went tumbling into a pit of darkness.

Gasping for air when my eyes snapped open, darting around the dimly lit room and then landing on the poster on the ceiling.

I heaved a sigh, turning to my right and glancing at the time.

6:14 am

I groaned, sitting up and rubbing my eyes.