Chapter 18

*Sophie

"So is that the reason why you suggested this place for me to move in to?" Riley asked, glaring at Maddox.

It had been another disastrous attempt at a dinner with Jamie and Cas after Maddox had showed up at my house. I didn't know if this was ever going to work.

Maddox shrugged, seeming completely unfazed.

"Might have had something to do with it," he said.

"Jesus Maddox," Riley said. "What the hell is your problem? I had no idea about any of this shit."

"I don't really think you needed to know," Maddox said.

Part of me wanted to let them talk this out, and the other part wanted him to get the hell out of my house.

"I think it probably would've been a good thing to mention if you were going to try and use me to get in their business again," Riley said angrily.  "Now I'm in a shitty situation because of you."

"Shit happens Riley, I don't know what you want me to say," Maddox said.

He leaned against the counter with his arms crossed looking like he gave absolutely zero fucks about what he was doing to his own sister.

"Alright Maddox, think it's about time - " I started to tell him he needed to leave but Riley finished the thought for me.

"I'll take care of this Soph," she said.

I nodded and she continued, "you need to leave, and please don't show up here again. You've already ruined enough. I don't know why you're still obsessing over Cas and Jamie's relationship."

Maddox scoffed and stood up straight, "I'm your brother Riley."

"Doesn't change the fact that you're an asshole," Riley said with a sarcastic grin.

Damn she got him good, I thought.

"Whatever," he mumbled as he walked out the door.

I sighed and looked at Riley, "I think we've had about enough unexpected guests and surprised to last us for quite a while, huh?"

"Seriously," she said as she slumped her shoulders over in exhaustion. "Jamie and Cas are probably never going to forgive me after that...are they?"

"Well," I started, "they might if they hear about how you just told him off."

Riley grinned at me, "I hope so, I feel so bad."

"It might take a while but I bet they'll come around eventually," I told her.

She nodded and looked at the table full of dishes, filled with food that we hadn't even gotten to.

"Let's get this cleaned up I guess," she said.

We began to grab the dishes and food off of the table and put it away. I was putting things in the dishwasher and quickly turned around to go back towards the table and Riley and I ran in to each other.

"Sorry," I said with a laugh.

Riley laughed nervously as she seemed to realize how close we were to each other. I stayed put and waited for her to move back, but she didn't. My heart started to pound in my chest as I looked up at her.

Despite me obviously having the hots for Riley, I had done my best to be careful around her so I wouldn't make her uncomfortable, but this was all on her.

Our bodies were so close that they were almost touching, but she still hadn't moved an inch. We both stood there without saying anything, and all I could focus on was the sweet smell of Riley's perfume filling my nose.