34 |A Contract to Uphold|

Rosalynde watched the rain pour from the sky safe from inside her bedchambers as she contemplated the clouds racing high above in the sky.

They hadn't spoken of whatever had happened between them. But true to his word, Grey had brought her to the small tea shop close to Merchants Road. She'd felt his eyes trailing her body as she moved around the isles. At the end she settled for a couple of new arrivals hailing from the Atrean Kingdom. The first one was suggested by Grey: a black enriched with cocoa bean and a mixture of spices that blended perfectly, ginger, cardamom, malt and chicory root. For the second she settled with another blend; enriched with chocolate curls, rose petals and pink pepper.

How long had it been since she'd last had time for herself? For her to roam freely inside a shop without the heavy hands of the clock urging her to go back into the shadows where she truly belonged?

That was why she'd taken her time in choosing, even if at the end she did not pay a single dime. Apparently Grey had decided to cover everything she was going to buy in advance. And she knew better than to argue with a banker when the stake was money or self-accomplishment itself.

She didn't object either as he offered her his arm for her alone, leading her around Merchant Road, passing over the private road where his house was and over the northern bridge that divided the neighbourhoods of Merchant Road and the High Strands.

He'd accompanied her back into the Citadel and with a light kiss against the back of her hand he'd retreated, taking with him the papers proving the existence of Verity, tracing back to its early days.

He met no resistance form her part, knowing very well that less martial she had on her the safer Pharah- and maybe Katherine too- would have been.

A few days had passed since their last encounter, but Rosalynde could have sworn in front of the relics of the previous monarchs that she still felt a light tingling on her lips. Whatever that kiss with Grey had left her, it still hadn't gone away.

She didn't know if she liked the feeling or if she loathed it- maybe both, maybe none. She'd started walking onto a path completely unknown to her.

If she was going to be rewarded at the end was completely another different story.

A knock resounded from the hallway, with the ethereal figure of Pharah waltzing inside the room with Katherine hot on her heels.

"Morning! I need you both in this gloomy morning!" Pharah exclaimed with profound joy.

Rosalynde had to share a single look with Katherine to know she was not going to like whatever the second Apostle had come up with.

"Does it involve alcohol?" Asked Rosalynde.

"Or maybe a decent dose of sleep? Heavens above know how much I need that. Your mother asked me to play for her till dawn. I even snapped one of my harps' strings while at it!" Katherine whined on reply, dropping on one of the couches inside the antechamber preceding Rosalynde's bedroom.

The apparent heir seemed to consider her words before a sly grin made its way on her refined face. "No and no. Today I have to accompany the Egor's son around the palace. And as my lady-in-waiting and a good friend of mine you're both bound to accompany me in this tedious errand." Pharah finished.

A small giggle escaped her lips as she watched the other two woman's face morph into one of horror.

Katherine was the first to reply. "This is just an unfair abuse of power." And turned to look at Rosalynde in hope of finding a solid backup.

But all the Smiling Dame did in reply was to raise her brow, gracing her brethren with a knowing smile before shrugging in resignation.

"You can't get always away with everything- she cannot always get away with everything,"