A Bounty on Jaymes and Devesta

August 1st, 2026, nearly one month after the Ocean Turtle Incident, Momiji

"You seem nervous, Kureha. Or should I call you Momiji for today? This can't be more nerve-racking than fighting a war."

Momiji smiles nervously at the blonde girl standing right beside her. They're hiding from the sea of reporters seated at the press conference hall here at Rath Industries...excuse her, the Oceanic Resource Exploration and Research Institution. Right now, two people speak to the reporters — Doctor Rinko Koujiro of ORERI and Josuke Hardin of ORERI's parent company, Robotelligence.

Why is she nervous? She shouldn't be here. He should be here watching the dream his father had for nearly two decades be revealed to the world because of what he did. Because of Joshua, that dream is now reality.

It all started hours after Llenn and Team Betrayer won Squad Jam 3.

Joshua had logged out after he put his trust in Momiji to defeat Devesta, returning to watching over Kazuto's recovery on Rath's Pacific Ocean facility, the Ocean Turtle. In the middle of that, Asuna Yuuki arrived with Dr. Rinko on the Ocean Turtle, which sparked an argument between the two friends.

After having to spill the beans to the rest of his friends, Joshua confronted Momiji privately online, which she revealed she did tell Asuna the truth. He was unhappy, but figured Asuna would have come anyway if she got in contact with Dr. Rinko before talking to Momiji.

The next time Momiji would see Joshua, it would the following afternoon. The Ocean Turtle was invaded by a force masterminded by an American intelligence agency. When she got a text from Joshua about it, she was out shopping with some friends. Hours later, she hadn't heard news about him, so Momiji headed to Rath's Roppongi Branch and demanded to be allowed to enter the Underworld and aid Joshua and Kazuto in whatever was happening on the Ocean Turtle and the simulation. With permission from Josuke, she joined around the same time as Asuna with a super account named Bellia, who turned out to be the Underworld's Goddess of War.

While the creation goddess "Stacia" split the earth, Kureha landed between two groups of people. One group was holding girl hostage, so without question, Kureha not only rescued the girl but eliminated the dark knights that held her hostage, including their leader, before their bodies fell into a deep crevice created by Asuna.

The second group that the girl was apart of turned out to be a group of knights from the Human Empire, and Jaymes was with them. After allying with Asuna, Alice, and the rest of the Integrity Knights on the front lines, Kureha used her account's exceptional ability to adapt to battle and possession of multiple weapons to fight the Dark Territory's army, then a red army of real-world humans summoned by the Ocean Turtle's intruders. By that point, Alice was captured by the Dark God Vecta, and Jaymes was in pursuit.

Asuna and Kureha would be reinforced by their friends, including Sinon and Leafa who also possessed super accounts, and allies from ALO and GGO, but it wouldn't amount to much as the red army of American, Chinese, and Korean gamers who thought the Underworld was a beta test for a new game.

When it seemed the alliance would be defeated, the former leader of Laughing Coffin, PoH, took center stage, trying to awaken Kirito who was in a vegetative state. Pissed already by the attack on Kirito, the events of SJ3 by former Laughing Coffin members, and all she heard about SAO, Kureha joined Asuna in fighting PoH, then left things to Kirito as he woke up and finished the fight.

When she saw Jaymes again, he appeared before them after he and Kirito slew the person who formerly had the Vecta account — Gabriel Miller, also known as Subtilizer to the GGO players. He told Kureha and the survivors that Alice was in the real world, to watch over her, and that he would remain here in the Underworld as the maximum acceleration phase began.