blue moon motel

the car was filled with dirty clothes. random belongings, snatched from the dead of night. the smell of cigarettes and wet clothes and vanilla suffocated the old dingy car. the windows were down, the cold autumn air making hair fly around. the radio station was stuck between fuzz and music. it was as comforting as hot chocolate on a snowy day.

feeling nothing but pure adrenaline and self-pity, the two made their way out of town. out of columbus. 

on the highway, there was nothing but corn fields, mountains so close you think you could just touch them if you stuck your hand out far enough. the sky was almost pitch black while stars twinkled against it. the moon was like the cheshire cats grin, shining a dim– almost pathetic light against the asphalt. 

he had one hand on the steering wheel, while his other held his girls hand. he squeezed every now and then. just for the reminder that she was there, and that they were doing this. 

they were really doing this.

they were getting out. getting away. 

they had nothing to their names, nothing to eat, nothing but each other. and thats all they truly needed. he couldn't care less about everyone back home, his friends, his family, he had her, he would be fine. she would be fine cause she had him. 

a love so pure and raw, it burned. it ached. 

with the windows down and the heat blasting. the radio deciding its sticking to playing fuzz. a blanket draped across their laps– although every now and then he would let go of her hand and pull it up to her shoulders, before slipping his hand back into hers. 

they had been driving for five hours. he refused to take turns, he had decided he would drive her the entire way, until they meet their destination. a place neither of them truly knew. but it didn't matter, he would just keep driving her until they did. 

but glancing over and noticing how her eyes kept drooping, her head leaning as far back on the old ripped seat. he decided they should stop for the night. driving for another fifteen minutes until an exit appeared, he pulled off the highway.

trees swallowed the small town in the middle of nowhere. old signs straight front the seventies shined bright in front of them. he pulled into a parking lot of a motel.

"it'll have to do, okay?" he muttered while his hand when to stroke the back of her head. pushing any hair away from her face as she nodded. an idle smile making its way to her lips. he smiled back before putting the car in park. he looked over to the sign as he got out. he heard her car door open and close before joining him. 

the two stood there as they stared at what would be there home for the next couple days, hopefully. the sign was white, while bulbs of yellow and blue light flickered around it. the fourth one out completely. it was charming, it had heart.

"the blue moon motel." he spoke in an undertone. "it'll have to do."

.