Chapter 4: Jack Stilman

"Mr. Stilman?" a voice echoed, as if on the far side of a distant dream. "Mr. Stilman, there's someone here to see you."

Go away... I'm tired...

"I see she's on your emergency contact list, and she said it was urgent." the voice said apologetically. "Please try to nod or shake your head if you can."

Don't bother me. Please. I'm so... tired.

"Was that a nod? I can't tell.The monitor shows that he's awake, so I guess he's all yours. I won't promise you any riveting conversation unless you consider mumbling and drooling high prose. He's only been out of the comma for a day, and he's been in and out since. It might take him a while before he's fully himself again. It might also be never. Can't be too sure with this sort of thing how much brain damage he might have."

"Thanks, doctor," a second voice replied. "Consider me warned" It was familiar, comforting, yet shaky. "Jack, can you hear me? I mean, from what the doctor says I'm pretty sure you can. The question is, are you understanding me?"

Maddy, is that you?

The words came to mind, but not out of his mouth. Stilman tried nodding, but couldn't tell if he was successful.

"It's me Jack, Madhuri."

Oh, how he missed her, how he longed to lay with her in the comfort of their bed. It had been so long and he didn't realize how much he needed her until just now. Or maybe he was only feeling that way now because he was incapacitated on a hospital bed, unable to move or even talk and feeling overwhelmed with helplessness.

"I need to talk to you about something. About your trip to the surface last week."

Last week...?

He was pretty sure he mumbled something just now.

"Yes, Jack, it's been a week. They said you sedated yourself to within a millimeter of death, and thanks to that and the cold, they were able to give you radiation meds in time before your damaged metabolism could wreck your system. Apparently, it's a miracle you didn't die, but they weren't sure if you'd wake from the coma. I'm glad you made it."

Glad to see you too.

He mumbled something again. His eyes were starting to open, just a sliver, and he could see Maddy's dark silhouette in front of the bright hospital hall lights. He could vaguely sense other beds near him, in the long hospital hall.

"I want to ask you something. Wait, can you understand me? Nod so I'm sure."

Stillman nodded weakly.

"Good. Now blink twice."

He did that too.

"Okay. We can do this. I need you to remember something. Did you see a young woman, petite, with short blond hair? Her name was Shana."

"Shana..." he exhaled. He remembered her. They had worked together with Maddie at Agrass Corp. two years earlier, back when he and Maddie were still together. They were both aquaculture maintenance techs and he used to enjoy sneaking peaks at her body while they were changing into their jumpsuits on the occasions they started their shifts at the same time. She never seemed to notice or care.

"Remember, Jack. Did you see her there, at the outpost you visited?"

He thought back to what felt like last night, remembering the horror of the wreckage and the bodies within it, but he could only recall seeing the little elderly woman, wrinkles, greying hair, no Shana. He shook his head.

"God," Maddie cried softly. "Where is she then? Those bastards won't tell me."

"Agrass...?" Stilman strained a whisper.