Meant to Change

Annabeth Chase x Gn!reader
A/n: no pronouns are used to describe the reader, but they do wear a dress at one point.
Word count: 674
—————    ——————-    ————-

The orange and pink hues of the sunrise lit up the arena. I was up ungodly early due to a particularly bad nightmare. Perks of being a demi-god am I right? Since I knew I wouldn't be getting any more sleep, I decided I would get in some extra sword fighting practice. I was completely focused on the movement of my sword when I heard a loud voice yell, "Hey y/n! You showing off for me?" Annabeth shouted at you as she lent against the fence of the training area.

Her exclamation caught me off-guard making my head turn quickly and my grip on the sword loosen.  I was able to gather myself and I lent on my sword and tried to be smooth by saying, "Oh, Annabeth, I didn't see you there." But as I did this the sword slipped out from under me making me loose my footing. I started tilting to the side, but then two arms grabbed me and put me back upright.
"Falling for me already?" Annabeth said with a slight smirk on her face.

This made my ears go a little pink. "You tend to have that affect on people, Chase." My eyes went wide, I could barely believe I had just said that. I had been pining over her for the past three years and never had I been this brazen before.

Annabeth brushed back a strand of my hair and said, "Only on you, I hope." She removed her hand from my face before sending me a soft smile and walking away.

————————————

The door slammed against the wall of the Aphrodite cabin as I rushed in. I was out of breath and slightly sweating from running.

"Trying to break down our door?" I heard from across the room.

"Silena? Is that you?" I called out for my friend as I stepped through the cabin.

"Y/N! You look awful." I'm sure I did but that wasn't my top priority at the moment.

"I need your romance expertise."

She beamed at me before standing and putting me hands on my shoulders. "You've come to the right place!"

———————————-

I felt ridiculous. I was wearing a flowing summer dress with sandals and my hair down. Not exactly peak fighting apparel, but Silena promised it would help my chances with Annabeth.

"Y/N?" Speak of the devil. I turned around to see Annabeth looking me up and down with confusion written all over her face.

"Oh! Hey Annabeth!" I said while fidgeting with my dress.

"You look...different."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"No! Of course not! You just seem uncomfortable. Not like yourself."

I looked down in embarrassment.

Annabeth grabbed my hands and asked, "Is everything alright?" I silently shook my head as I kept my eyes cast on the ground.

"You can talk to me, you know that right?" She was so sweet, trying to comfort me.

I didn't know what to say, it wasn't like I could say, "Don't worry Annabeth, it's nothing, I'm just deeply in love with you and you don't feel the same way." That wouldn't work, instead what came out was, "I can't tell you about this though..." I finally looked into her eyes and I saw a mix of emotions, confusion, sympathy, and...love? "I can't tell you, because it would change everything."

She put her hand on my cheek and said, "Sometimes things are meant to change." Then she lent in and kissed me. At first my eyes went wide and my hands were limp against my body, then my brain realized what was happening and grabbed her face as I kissed her back. After a moment she detached her lips from mine and moved her hands down to hold my own. I looked at her with awe.

"I really like you Annabeth." I said as I stared at her.

"That's good, or otherwise that would not have been the right thing to do," she said and we both laughed lightly. "I really like you too, Y/N."

This time I lent in and kissed her.