Chapter 1: Private Tutoring

-Y/N POV-

Today marks my 3rd week since joining the Scouting Regiment. After training with the 104th Cadet Corps, I was forced to make that gruelling decision about which regiment I wanted to join. I ranked 4th among the 104th, just missing out on the top 3 spot. Seeing this, I had the luxury of choosing the MP regiment - but after some carefully thinking, I ended up within the Scouts.

If it were not for my abysmally low understanding of first-aid, I would have easily made it into the top 3 and maybe even come close to stealing that #1 spot from Mikasa Ackerman. However, no matter how hard I try, I just never got to grips with first-aid. To make things worse, my first-aid exam scores have been plummeting even quicker over the last 4 weeks.

-8:36am-

It was a cold, wet, and damp Monday morning - typical weather for the winter season. I walked out of the dining hall after grabbing a loaf of bread and shoved it in my mouth, then pulled out my folded up time-table from my trouser pocket. As I unfolded it, I was silently praying that it would be an easy class. To my dismay, I discovered my first lesson of the day was first-aid wherefore I subtly rolled my eyes in annoyance.

...
Tsk.

Seriously? As if Monday cannot start off any worse...
...

Being my petty self, I furiously chewed through the loaf of bread, dreading the thought of reading 30 text-filled pages on the vital organs.

On the way, I grabbed my usual coffee from the coffee shop which branched off HQ. Also, I made sure to grab three sachets of sugar to go along with my coffee. I had a bit of a sweet tooth - a very sweet one at that.

I walked along the cobbled streets of Scouts HQ with my coffee in hand, while I stared into the soulless grey sky with just a single thought in my mind. While I will forever not understand anything about first-aid, there was one saving grace that motivated me to even turn up to the class - that 'saving grace' being my own teacher, Petra Ral.

Petra, or as I was expected to address her - Miss Ral, was a Scout just slightly older than me. She had a petite figure, short ginger hair, and a soothing voice that was like a lullaby to my ears. Her eyes were a gentle and warm shade of brown, reflecting her friendly and approachable nature.

While she was just a couple of years older than me, she was still firm enough to be able to manage a class of new Scout recruits. There was something about her that caught my eye - as I was unsure whether it was her looks, her personality, or the way she spoke. Regardless, there was one thing I was certain about: I was head-over-heels for her. Although, given my position as a student, I always felt slightly guilty of having such thoughts about my own teacher so I sometimes tried to suppress them in the back of my mind.

I approached the door to the old antique Scout building, and made my way through the long corridors. It was flourishing with Scouts, as Monday morning always seems like the busiest time for the Scout Regiment. After making my way through the crowd, I finally arrived at my classroom.

Before I entered, I took a deep breath and when I was ready, I twisted the door handle in one swift motion. After a quick scan of the room, I realised I was earlier than usual - about 40% of the class were at the seats. In the corner of my eye just as I was making my way to my desk, I noticed Petra hard at work at her desk marking the exams we sat last week.

I took my usual seat at the back left corner of the class, right next to Armin Arlet - the academic star that always scores the highest when it comes to the written tests. 9 times out of 10 he would outperform the class, that 1 time being him not attending class due to requiring extra ODM training.