Resolve

Elania brushed a touch of sweat off her forehead as the heat radiating from the oven rushed up to greet her. She maneuvered the peel–a large wooden spatula–into the oven and slid the loaves of bread onto it. She closed the heavy metal door with her hip, before carrying the oval loaves to the counter to cool.

"Only seven in the morning and business is ready to go! If only my painting sold like this. But never mind that. Is the next batch ready?"

Elania joined her uncle at the front of the store. She loved her Uncle Sebastian, but he didn't quite fit the normal baker profile. Or the normal anything profile. He owned their bakery, painted in his free time, and was an aspiring musician.

"Oui, I just took them out," she said, stifling a yawn. Even though she had to rise early daily, Elania still hated getting up in the mornings.

"I need to finish this cake. Can you man the counter for a while? Remember, don't let the feisty ones take advantage of you. You know the prices and so do they!"

"Yes, sir!" she said with a grin, perking up. She loved working the counter and bartering with the customers. The feisty ones especially. She hurried over to the counter as the shop bell rang for the sixth time yet. A lady was already waiting. She held a small loaf of their regular-grade French bread.

"Good morning ma'am. That will be two sous, please," Elania said, smiling.

The lady hesitated and then pulled out one coin from her sash. She laid it on the counter, her head low.

Elania hesitated.

A man behind them rolled his eyes. "If you can't get nothin', then get out of the way for us paying customers."

"Excuse me? All our customers are important. Wait your turn, mister!" Elania snapped, bristling. But she needed to think. Should she send the woman away or let her have it for half-price? But what if the other customers demanded the same?

"N-nevermind. I apologize for troubling you. H-have a good day," the lady stammered in shame, turning away.

Elania opened her mouth to stop her, but someone else spoke first.

"Come, my friends, a franc or two is little," Sebastian said, appearing around the counter. His voice was gentle and sure. He handed the bread to the woman, pressing her sous back into her palm. "Consider it a gift."

"Are you sure?" the lady whispered, tears springing to her eyes.

Sebastian smiled, dipping his head. "Take care, Madam."

"God bless you," she said fervently.

The bell dinged as she left, and Sebastian turned to head back into the bakery.

But the man in line behind her wasn't done. "I'll expect my regular loaves to be free too, ya hear?"

"I won't be the one selling them," Elania muttered, rolling her eyes.

Sebastian smiled. "How many pounds livre do you have with you, I wonder?"

The man smiled. "Four livres and eleven sous."

"Perfect. Then you can certainly afford to pay. She could not."

Elania silently cheered at the disgusted expression on his face as he realized the tables had turned. His face red, he turned on his heel and marched out.

Sebastian shrugged. "Unfortunate, but his decision."

Elania felt a rush of love for her uncle. For all his idiosyncrasies, he hid a heart of gold. Not to mention a touch of wit, Elania thought with a smile.