Chapter 9

Ori desperately tried to crawl away from the advancing spiders. However, his weak little arms had no energy left. Blitz saw tears and fear fill Ori's eyes, and the little spirit could do nothing but scream in fear as the spiders attacked, viciously tearing into his body with their mandibles.

     Blitz immediately jumped into action, leaping over the hole and charging directly into the crowd of spiders mauling Ori. He grabbed one by the mandibles and violently ripped it off, tossing it into the hole. It shrieked as it fell. Blitz fired his gun at several spiders, before impaling several more with his blade. As Blitz had hoped, the spiders turned their attention to him instead.

     One charged at him, but was quickly cut down. Another tried to bite him, but its mandibles got blocked by his blade. Another tried to take advantage and attack Blitz, who had his blade locked in the other spider's mandibles, but Blitz quickly pulled his sword to the side, cutting open the first spider's mouth and freeing his blade. In the same swing, Blitz slashed the second spider's face, which then reared back, screeching in pain.

     Blitz fired his gun at the wounded spiders, then at several more that had decided to try and charge him. Within a few seconds, every spider that had attacked Ori was either dead or dying. Blitz stood above them, panting. He sheathed his blade and pistol, quickly turning his attention to Ori. He knelt at Ori's side to inspect the damage, and his heart filled with fear as he saw just how bad it was.

     In the few seconds it took Blitz to reach Ori, the spiders had already severely mauled him. He was covered in deep gouges and cuts, bleeding profusely. The young spirit lay still, panting heavily and sobbing in pain. "We have to do something! There's gotta be a Spirit Well nearby!" Blitz shouted up at Sein, voice full of panic.

     "There is, a short distance from here. But we must hurry! Ori is fading fast," Sein replied urgently, before zipping down into the hole and down the tunnel that led to the Thornfelt Swamp. Blitz gently scooped the injured spirit into his arms, sprinting after Sein as fast as he could.

     They exited the tunnel and into the Thornfelt Swamp. Blitz sprinted through the trees after Sein, hoping that they'd reach the Spirit Well soon. Ori was whimpering in pain, gazing up at Blitz with fearful eyes. "Am... am I gonna die, Blitz?" the little spirit croaked. "I... don't wanna die."

     Seeing his little friend so scared and hurt broke Blitz's heart. Blitz quickly shook his head, speaking to Ori soothingly while he ran. "No! No. You'll be fine. I promise you'll be okay." Though the panic in his voice betrayed his reassurance. In truth, Blitz wasn't really sure.

     Ori let out another small, pained whimper. His blood leaked from his wounds and stained Blitz's armor as Blitz jumped over briars and past creatures of Decay. Sein floated onward as fast as she could, sensing the Spirit Well grow stronger and stronger. "Are we close?!" Blitz shouted in a panic, as Ori's whimpers and pained wriggling ceased and the spirit went silent. "We're close! Just a moment longer!" Sein responded with equal urgency and panic in her voice.

     At long last, they reached the base of the plateau that housed the Ginso Tree. Off to the left sat a small cave, and Blitz saw a glowing Spirit Well inside. He wasted no time, as Ori had gone completely limp, and Blitz couldn't feel the young spirit breathing anymore. He rushed into the cave and up to the Spirit Well, and placed little Ori inside without hesitation. He felt the light seer his already burnt left hand, but he didn't care. All he cared about was saving his new friend's light. Sein floated above the Spirit Well anxiously.

     The light enveloped the dying spirit, slowly closing his wounds and evaporating the blood spattered over his fur. Ori's strength rapidly returned, and the light released him and gently lowered him back to the ground. Ori wobbled on his feet, looking quite shaken. He looked up at Blitz, and tears welled up in his eyes again. "Blitz?" Ori asked sheepishly, like a young, scared child. "I want to go home." The little spirit's voice cracked as another tear leaked from his eye.

     Blitz felt relief flood through him. Ori was okay! But his relief melted away, and he felt pity as he saw the young spirit wobbling on his feet, on the verge of tears. Blitz knelt in front of Ori, before pulling him into a hug. Ori immediately clung to Blitz's chest, shaking in fear. He began to sob quietly. Blitz held Ori close, gently stroking the spirit's head to comfort him. "It's okay. You're safe now. I won't let anything hurt you ever again. I promise," Blitz whispered into Ori's ear. He meant every word; he was never going to let Ori be hurt again.

     Ori remained in Blitz's arms for a few minutes, as his sobs slowly diminished. After finally calming down, Ori sniffled and wiped some tears away from his black eyes. The young spirit slowly pulled away from Blitz's embrace, taking in deep breaths. His ears and tail still drooped, but Ori seemed to feel a lot better now. "Can... can we take a break? Please? I don't think I can do any more adventuring today," Ori finally spoke, voice still a little bit wobbly.

     Sein hovered above Ori. "No! The Ginso Tree is so close!" she argued with an exasperated tone.

     "Sein!" Blitz barked at the wisp. "Ori needs a break. I think I do too." Blitz placed a reassuring hand on Ori's shoulder. "We'll set up camp here, and get back to our mission in the morning."

     Ori's ears perked back up and he looked at Sein hopefully. Sein finally caved. "Fine. But we move at first light, no exceptions."

~~~~~~~~~~

     The small, glowing metal box hummed and buzzed, casting a warm orange glow throughout the cave. Ori sat in front of the lantern, eyeing it with curiosity and amazement. Blitz called it a "lantern," and it had peaked Ori's interest. Ori hesitantly touched the glowing part with his paw, and quickly pulled his hand away as he felt its heat. Blitz chuckled, amused by the little spirit's antics. Ori responded with an indignant snort, before sitting on a rock next to Blitz.

     Blitz pulled another one of the strange, pale food sticks out of a large pouch on his belt. He broke it in half, offering one half to Ori. Ori's stomach grumbled, and he quickly snatched the food and devoured it, still feeling amazed at how the small piece of sustenance could fill him up so quickly. Blitz took his own half and slipped it under his helmet to eat it. Ori felt confusion. "Why don't you just take off your helmet?" Ori asked.

     Blitz didn't respond, only further adding to Ori's confusion. The little spirit turned his gaze away from Blitz and instead towards the lantern in front of him.

     "So, uh, I've been meaning to ask you a couple of questions, Blitz," Ori piped up after a few minutes of silence. Blitz nodded in response. "Sure. What's on your mind?"

     "How did you find me?" Ori asked. The question had been weighing on his mind for a little while.

     Blitz thought for a moment. "Well... I was just kinda travelling in this forest, and I suddenly saw a huge beacon of light. Naturally, I went to investigate, and I found you, laying in a bed of glowing white flowers. You were pretty badly hurt, but still alive. I thought I'd help you out."

     Satisfied with Blitz's answer, Ori let out a loud yawn. He had a lot more questions for Blitz, but he was too tired to ask them. Blitz sighed, laying down on his side. "Alright, buddy, get some rest. Who knows what we're gonna go through when we rekindle the element of waters."

     Ori nodded in understanding, and curled up on the rock he sat upon. He slowly exhaled, and closed his eyes. So much had happened in just a single day, and Ori's mind wanted nothing more than to sleep.

     But sleep would not come. Either the rock that Ori laid upon was too uncomfortable, the memories and the trauma of the day were not allowing him to sleep, or a combination of both. Ori shifted uncomfortably in his spot again and again for twenty minutes, before finally getting back to his feet. He looked around the cave for something to help him sleep, and his eyes laid upon Blitz, who was snoring softly. Ori hesitantly crept over to his sleeping friend's side. Ori gently crawled into the arch of Blitz's torso, careful not to wake the sleeping human up. As he finally settled down, Blitz unconsciously hugged Ori's body close to his own. Ori didn't fight back, Blitz's embrace filling him with warmth, comfort, and safety.

     Ori shut his eyes once more, and sleep came almost instantly.