One

"Erin, I'm so sorry that I can't drop you off at school today." Charmaine said to her daughter as she made her way around the kitchen.

Charmaine had arranged to be the one to send Erin off for her first day of school since they had just moved into their new house. Regretfully, Charmaine's work duties always got in the way. She was a transfer, and her concentration needed to be focused on the project that would begin in a week. Despite having worked for the company for four years and progressed successfully up the tech ladder, she still had a good first impression to make. This was a new position, after all, and a new city.

"No worries, I'm use to it." In response, Erin sat down at the large kitchen island to finish her now half eaten bowl of cereal.

"Stop! Please don't act that way; I'm doing my best." Her mother answered, shocked by what her daughter had said. "Just give me time, and I promise things will be different."

Charmaine brushed out a little crease in her blouse. She was employed by a major IT firm. Which at times made them get up and move to follow the specifics of her work. Charmaine did everything within her ability to ensure that Erin was well taken care of. Even with her being a single mother, she made sure Erin didn't go without. Erin on the other hand would definitely swap everything, even though she had it better than other children, to spend more time with her mother.

"We simply have to move whenever we settle down and I eventually make friends. I'm tired of having to restart. As a teenage girl, my driver, the cook, and the maid are the only people who I have as friends, and they're paid." She mentioned as she looked to her mother for some kind of insurance, but she was unable to find any.

"Oh, and your driver will arrive in roughly ten minutes to transport you to the school. I'll see you tonight, Rin. Just have a good day." Charmaine talked as though she was not aware of the discussion her daughter was attempting to hold with her.

Truthfully, Charmaine did not find anything wrong with the life she was giving her daughter—as long as it was better than her own early years. Charmaine grew up in the slums, or "ghetto," as she preferred to refer to it when she was younger. Charmaine was her mother's golden ticket to her next high; she was a drug addict. When her mother couldn't locate a trifling landlord who accepted sex as payment, the streets were then her mother's primary residence. Being too ashamed of their daughter's lifestyle, her grandparents never offered to aid. Char attended school wearing a lot of lost and found clothing and never had anything of her own. It was a moment in her life; she had no desire to ever be again.

Thus, Charmaine believed that her daughter was extremely lucky to reside in a large home in a desirable area. Growing up, Charmaine could only have imagined the things Erin possessed. Like having a swimming pool and a closet full of the most expensive clothing a girl could desire. Charmaine supplied Erin with everything she could have wished for. Charmaine just didn't perceive the issue. She was a dedicated worker who believed she was providing her daughter with the kind of role model she herself wished she had.

Charmaine

Rin hurried to the window to witness her mother sashay elegantly to her car after hearing the front door close

Rin hurried to the window to witness her mother sashay elegantly to her car after hearing the front door close. Charmaine was obviously a stunning woman. After watching her mother's car pull off Erin turned to see her reflection in the long mirror that was mounted on the foyer wall. She may not have liked herself, but she was a really lovely girl. Although her skin tone was deeper than her mother's, it was nonetheless perfect and silky. Her thick, long hair naturally had a loose curl to it which adored her face perfectly.

Erin felt the opposite of confident and gorgeous, and she often questioned how she could be her mother's daughter. Everywhere Charmaine went, guys were drawn to her mother's breathtaking beauty. Charmaine was likewise quite frank and didn't think twice about standing up for herself. When Erin was just an ordinary Jane, who endured the taunting and criticism.

As she completed the final check-up, she noticed a horn beeping, and she immediately began mentally preparing herself for yet another fresh start. To make matters worse, this new start occurred in the midst of the academic year at a public school.

"You got this Rin." As the front door opened and her driver Carlos stood in front of her.

The entire ride to school was a silent one, as Erin wondered what her experience would be like. Although she was aware that it was already late in the school year and she would probably not make any friends, she secretly had optimism.

When Carlos finally arrived at the school, he got out of the car and went to open Erin's back passenger door. Others who observed her made comments that seemed rather different from what she considered to be typical. Some even went so far as to laugh and point fingers, which only made Erin feel more embarrassed. She hurriedly entered Delmont High, keeping her head down the entire time. All she could do was hope that today would pass fast so she could be done with it.

_____________________