Two

Erin was having a terrible day so far, and it appeared that every class she attended, she was put on the spot. Her teachers all seemed to be pushing for her to introduce herself and stand in front of the class. which, incidentally, gave her a lot of self-consciousness. It was overwhelming to be in front of teens who are making fun of how dark your complexion is. Some of the female students could be heard teasing and pretending to be interested in Erin's hair being real. She was undoubtedly uncomfortable throughout the entire affair.

Erin waited for the bell to sound while curled into her seat at what she thought would be her new desk near the rear of the room. In all honesty, she was dying to hide for the remainder of the day by running into the restroom. She felt a gentle tap on her shoulder, and her head shot up.

"I'm Takari. A cute girl with brown skin spoke, whose red hair was neatly parted down the middle.

"Hi I'm Erin, is it always like this?" Erin burst out, mentioning how unpleasant the class was.

Takari grinned as he glanced around. "Yes, if you're talking about those dumb ass clowns. But only in this particular class. Although it's clear that this teacher doesn't give a damn, most of the other teacher don't stand for anything like this." She told her so.

Erin released a sigh of relief.  She was relieved that this would not be something she had to anticipate in every class.

"You appear somewhat relieved, but trust me when I say that these bitches will be all over you when you step outside into the halls. Oh, and be careful with those niggas as well, as you're new and rather adorable." As she unintentionally showered Erin's Parade, Takari spoke.

Erin only managed to say, "Oh," before she turned back in her seat.

"Relax, dear! You're welcome to hang out with me; don't worry. I will also introduce you to the other girls I hang out with."

Erin was made to feel better by that, as she had never truly had friends. It was wonderful for her to be on her first day and have already made one friend, if not more. She became slightly more attentive in her seat for the remainder of the class as a result of having something to look forward to.

Most people got up when the bell rang, signaling what they called first lunch. People were rushing past you in the noisy hallways, their voices bouncing off the lockers, never offering an apology. Erin's mother had consistently enrolled her in the schools with a large white student body. However Erin wanted to be where she would fit in, and not stick out like a sore thumb. So she pulled out all the stops, to get her mother to agree.

Erin saw Takari once again after getting a juice from the vending machine. She trailed behind her to a table occupied by four additional girls.

"Hello your highness." The other three at the table laughed at the joke spoken by a girl.

Erin's expression furrowed slightly, as she was unable to comprehend.

Rita, get over yourself." Giving her friend a deadly stare, Takari said.

What? The way she arrived at school this morning gave me the impression that she was a princess or something." Rita shrugged her shoulders and continued to chuckle as she explained.

She's not, though." Takari stood up for Erin. "She got some money to be driven to school, so don't be upset. As you need to board the public transportation."