Chapter Seven

The inn was called the Gilded Dove and Eleri had never been so happy to see such a ramshackle little building on the outskirts of the little village seemingly in the middle of nowhere, although a cracked and faded sign announced they'd reached Dunning, which was a cracked and faded and ramshackle little town as well.

Still, Eleri almost cried at the sight of the lone bed, which was large enough to overwhelm the small room at the end of the dark and shadowy hallway at the top of the rickety staircase.

"One bed." Boromir all but grunted the two words as he dropped his cloak into the lone chair in the corner nearest the door, followed by his surcoat. "I will take the floor."

"Don't be silly," she told him, letting her bedroll and sack hit the floor alongside the chair. "Sleep in comfort, Boromir. You've been on your feet far too long. I'll wager your wounds must ache like mad at this point."

"They are fine and I am as well." Even as he protested, he fell facedown across the bed, which had her holding her breath as it let out an ominous creak, but the bedstead held.

A soft snore rose into the air like a mist and she smiled before sitting to remove her boots from her tired feet. "Sleep well. You've earned it."

As the snoring continued, she then moved to unlace and unwrap his boots, then tugged them from his feet to set by the chair as well. Then, with a soft grunt, she moved his legs, bringing them around to rest on the bed instead of dangling over the side. He sighed in his sleep, and as she sank on to the edge of the mattress to catch her breath, he murmured, "Come here," and reached for her.

"I thought you were asleep?"

"I was, until you moved my feet. I'm a rather light sleeper these days. Too many run-ins with wargs and orcs for me to sleep deeply."

"Oh... I'm sorry...I just—"

"It's all right." He caught her by the hand. "Come and lie down."

A smile tugged at her lips and she let him draw her down beside him, tucking her head against his chest as she murmured, "Are you certain?"

"Very. No sleeping on rocks or uneven ground, for you, either, Miss Eleri. You will also sleep in peace."

His arm about her shoulders pulled her closer as his whisper thickened and she draped her arm about his hips, happy to close her eyes once more despite her earlier nap. Exhaustion unlike anything she'd ever felt before made every fiber ache, made her eyes burn, and her bones weary and for the first time in what seemed like forever, she sank into a slumber that was actually restful.

When she opened her eyes, it took her a minute to remember where she was, and why there was a well-muscled arm draped about her waist. Long fingers relaxed, just brushing her stomach, and behind her came a deep, even breathing.

The bed smelled a bit musty, but it was soft and warm, and she was perfectly content to remain exactly where she was, with her back snuggled against Boromir's wide chest, that powerful arm about her.

Those fingers moved, then Boromir straightened his arm and whispered, "Eleri?"

"I'm up."

"What time is it?"

"I haven't a clue." She peered toward the windows on the opposite side of the room. They were greasy and smudged with soot, but offered up a hint of the outside world. "It's still daylight, I think."

"I wonder how many days we've slept. It feels like at least two." With a soft groan, he rolled onto his back, the arm that had been draped about her waist now flopping loudly on the far side of the bed. He brought up his other hand to rub his eyes.