6

trigger warning: mentions of abuse
lacey's pov

i had just got into bed and taylor tucked me in and left shortly after, mumbling a goodnight and me replying back with one. she turned the lights out and i just sat there in the dark, all alone.

there was a lot on my mind; michael and ashley most likely going to prison, the worker coming to see me tomorrow morning, but the biggest thing was taylor trying to foster me.

out of all the people in the world, i was the one who taylor wanted to foster. it didn't make any sense i was just some random girl she met, why would she want to foster me?

what if taylor is just doing this for fun? what if she leaves me like everyone else? what if she changes her mind? what if i'm not good enough for her?

i had way too much on my mind to even think about going to sleep, so i made my way downstairs to get some water and clear my mind. i made my way slowly and carefully down the stairs, not wanting to wake taylor.

when i reached the bottom, i walked into the kitchen and grabbed a small glass and filled it with water. i stared out the window at the night sky while drinking my water, getting completely lost in my thoughts.

usually at michael and ashley's house id be home alone all the time, so when i heard the floorboard creak behind me, it frightened me. i snapped my neck back and got scared. but i was relieved to know it was taylor, she had a sleepy smile and slowly walked towards me.

i flashed a faint smile and then turned back to the window. she gently placed her hand on my shoulder "hey sweetie, why aren't you in bed?" she asked me softly.

i looked over at her but didn't know what to say, i pursed my lips together as i tried to think of something but nothing came to mind. "uh...i don't know" i mumbled.

taylor tilted her head slightly and furrowed her eyebrows "what do you mean? you came down here for a reason. what's bothering you lacey?" she asked, still softly.

"i was just...thinking.." i said quietly. she noticed i was looking down quite a lot. "thinking about what?" she lifted my chin up with her finger so i was looking into her eyes "you can talk to me darling" she continued.

"taylor don't worry, i just can't sleep" i replied dismissively and tried to walk away, but taylor grabbed my wrist and spun me around to face her. "you can't sleep because there's something on your mind, please, tell me" taylor said with a sad pout.

she seemed worried so i just gave it up and told her. "i don't know taylor", i said with my voice breaking, "i guess just this whole situation, like why you even want me" i continued.

"what do you mean, baby?" she asked and tucked some hair behind my ear. "i-i mean, like, this whole thing is crazy taylor. why would you want to foster a girl like me? i don't understand any of it, im really excited at having a chance of you fostering me - but at the same time i just wish we weren't in this situation, i wish my mom was still here. i miss her." i ranted and ended up having tears streaming down my face by the time taylor stopped me from continuing and just pulled me into a hug.

she held me tight, tighter than she has before. it was the best hug i'd ever gotten from someone, taylor always gives the best hugs. we stayed hugging until she buried her face into my shoulder and i heard her sniffle, so i pulled away.

"taylor im sorry, please, don't cry" i said, guilt washing over me as i realised i had made the most important person to me right now cry. "you didn't do anything wrong lacey, im just sad you feel this way" she said with a shaky voice and took my hands into hers, "i know this sucks and i wish i could go back in time and fix it for you, but i cant. and i promise you that i'll care for you everyday of your life. and i want to foster you because i care about you, you deserve to have a good life as much as every other kid does. i don't ever want you to doubt yourself again because none of its true, you are an amazing girl and i couldn't ask for anyone better. so, please, understand this; i wouldn't settle for anything less than what i have right now, you. i love you lacey"

"i-i love you too taylor" i said through a choked sob. taylor reached her right hand up to wipe away some of my tears. "now, let's get you back to bed. we have a busy day tomorrow" taylor said and took my hand to lead me back to my bedroom.

i laid back down in my bed and just after taylor tucked me in and was about to walk away, "can you stay?" i asked her shyly. she smiled from ear to ear as she nodded her head and climbed into the bed next to me.

she pulled me into her arms and kissed my forehead, and shortly after i fell asleep.

~ dream ~
(lacey's pov)

taylor stormed into the house angrily and stomped over to me on the couch.

"get the fuck up!" she shouted "all you ever do is sit around, fostering you was the worst decision of my life. you know what get out!" she continued while pulling me off the couch aggressively. "what? what do you mean taylor? where do you want me to go?" i questioned back.

"away! away from me. i don't want you here, i don't wanna see you ever again." she shouted. i just stood there, unsure of what to do.

"do i need to fucking repeat myself? get the fuck out of my house you worthless orphan" taylor screamed and pulled me close by my shirt. "you know what come here you little bitch" taylor lifted her fist up to my face and it flew towards me.

and then everything went black.

~ end of dream ~

taylor's pov

i woke up with lacey sleeping peacefully in my arms. but then her breathing quickened and she was rolling around slightly.

she suddenly shot up from my arms, panting out of breath and tears leaking from her eyes. she turned to face me and bit her lip as she continued to sob harder. "taylor i'm sorry!" she exclaimed and held onto me tightly.

i rubbed her back up and down as she sobbed into my chest "lacey it was just a dream everything's okay now" i said, trying to get her to calm down. "i know taylor, b-but...you came in a-and i..." she tried to speak but seemed to be at a loss for words and too scared.

"what did i do lacey? what happened? you can tell me darling" i asked, wondering what she could've possibly dreamed of that had her this scared. it can't be good for her, having all these nightmares, she's only 14.

"i-i dunno taylor" she started but her sobs took over "it's okay honey, breathe. in through your nose, out though your mouth" i told her while guiding her through it. she had finally caught her breath again and want hyperventilating, she she sat facing me. "basically, you came home and started storming over to me angrily. then you were shouting at me saying all i ever do is lay on the couch and told me to go away. you said that i'm a-a worthless orphan...and then you pulled me in and punched me. and then i woke up. she spoke with worry on her face the whole time.

"oh my god lacey, i'm so sorry. i'd never do anything like that i promise" i reassured while hugging her again. we were separated by the doorbell ringing. "that must be the person they sent out, you ready?" i asked lacey while grabbing a hair tie and roughly putting my hair up into a ponytail and ran downstairs to the door.

i flung the door open with lacey by my side "hi! sorry, we just woke up" i said with a smile but it faded once i saw who was at the door. it wasn't who i was expecting at all, neither me and lacey were expecting this person...

~

a/n: so sorry for the cliffhanger...
hope you enjoyed

not proofread