Chapter 7

"Long ago, Old Man Agustin decided to build a school for girls. He wanted to educate girls to become intelligent women who wouldn't have to depend on men. And the reason he wanted to do this, Blue, was because Old Man Agustin was in love!"

"In love? With whom?" asked Blue. She was sitting on the rocking chair with her hands on her lap.

"Agustin was dearly in love with a beautiful woman named Cherry. He gave her his heart and soul, his life and death, his present and future—but only because he loved her, oh, so much!"

Blue leaned further back as she listened attentively to Syrena's beautiful storytelling voice.

"Agustin loved everything about Cherry: her smile, her laughter, her kisses. He wrote poetry for her, baked for her, and sometimes he sang his own songs for her. Agustin even cried the words I do on the day of their wedding—can you dig that?"

Blue could visualize every word that Syrena narrated. "It's so nice! Cherry must have been so happy!" she exclaimed with a long, dreamy sigh.

Syrena nodded. "Agustin wanted every woman in the world to be like Cherry. So, in 1824, Old Man Agustin funded Cherry Hill School for Girls. That was over one hundred and fifty years ago, Blue!"

"Oh, Syrena, it's lovely!" Blue was left fantasizing about this tale and fell into a cozy mood.

Ms. Summer and Syrena both nodded; they too had been picturing the history of their old school. The vast living room became silent and relaxing, with an atmosphere of tranquility. The stones of the walls conserved the warmth of the room; and the dim lights made the mood for tales more alluring.

But in a sudden moment, Blue jumped forward on her chair—alarmed and wide-eyed—and looked straight at the Headmistress. "Oh, Ms. Summer, you asked us to come for something else, no?"

Ms. Summer laughed, "Yes, yes, dear. No need to worry! I daresay it was necessary for you to learn the history of the school anyhow—and I'm glad you liked it!" She clapped her hands once, "But indeed, I did ask you both here for something else." The Headmistress looked at Blue more attentively. She took a sip of her coffee and smiled. "Blue, my students are not just students, you see. This is an isolated place in the wide world, and so I see my girls like a special family—one that endures for four years together. I appreciate each and every one of my girls for their own traits and talents. So, seeing as how you two have become acquainted so well this morning, I would like for you, Syrena, to guide Blue and help her feel at home; and for you, Blue, to try your best at everything in this school—you know what your father expects."

Syrena's eyes lit up, "Of course, I'll help her feel at home, Ms. Summer!"

Blue nodded. "Yes Ms. Summer. Thank you."

* * *

Later, Blue and Syrena were quietly resting in the guest room, sitting together on the bed.

"How do you like the school so far, Blue?"

"It's very nice!"

"And what do you think of the girls?"

"They are nice!"

Syrena laughed, "There are twenty-nine of us living here—I would introduce you to them, but it'd be nicer if you meet them personally one by one. You'll make friends fast." Syrena yawned. "Most people think boarding schools are crummy old places with mean teachers and bullies. But this school is nothing like that. Everyone here gets along, and all—well almost all—of our teachers are pretty groovy—especially Ms. Dahlia!"

"I like that!"

Syrena smiled at Blue, "So what was school like in—in, uh, where are you from again?"

Blue giggled, "Hungary." She sat against the backrest of the bed and looked up at the ceiling. "My school was... nice. I had friends there and I miss them. But I... I think here will be nicer."

Syrena nodded, "How come your family moved here?"

Blue sighed, "Just me and my father. Apa talks about a dream. People come to these countries for a nicer life."

Syrena looked surprised, "Really? Aren't there some conflicts—like some battles in Europe going on? I thought that was why you..."

"Oh yes, the wars," Blue quietly replied. "Yes, we left because of that. Apa thought people here are happier. But... I don't think it has to do with wars."

"You don't think... the reason why people are happy here is because there aren't wars?"

Blue nodded.

Syrena looked blankly ahead, "Then you think happiness has nothing to do with peace?"

"Some people are happy in bad times. And in peace times, some people are sad."

Syrena was quite taken back. "Then what makes people happy—according to you?"

Blue shrugged, "Being with family and friends?"

"Oh, far out, Blue! I might just agree with you!" Syrena stood up to stretch, but then noticed that Blue's wooden chest was still on the floor with its lid wide open. This time, she took a closer look. "Blue! Are you rich, Blue?"

Blue giggled, "Me?"

"You have to be! Are you some kind of royal?"

"No! Apa—my father—worked in a bank in Hungary. We have... money."

"Oh..." Syrena giggled. "Well, you should wear something nice today! You've got to make a good impression on the girls because they wear their best clothes on Saturdays."

"Why on Saturdays?"

"Well, during the week, we have to wear our uniform, and on Sundays... well, we're too lazy to get out of bed!"

"Oh! I have a nice dress—it's blue. Can I wear it?"

"Let's see it!"

From the chest, Blue pulled out clothes and clothes until she found the dress. She held it up; it was a cyan dress of a silky material. "Is it nice?"

Syrena's eyes widened, "Nice? It's way beautiful! Oh, put it on!"

Blue shyly giggled, "Take a shower first?"

Syrena nodded, "Right." She grabbed Blue by the hand, pulled her up and dragged her outside to the long corridor. This stone-walled corridor, located on the second floor, was where the girls' dormitories were situated; and on the third and topmost floor was Ms. Summer's office. In this corridor, there were three bathrooms, each with a shower. Syrena pushed Blue into one and said at the door, "Three bathrooms, twenty-nine girls—well thirty now—the rule is ten girls in line per bathroom and five minutes of showering."

"Five minutes? They count?" Blue inquired with shock.

"For sure! They'll count every second!" Syrena replied with a laugh.

Blue seemed utterly shocked by this.

Syrena saw this and laughed further, "It's a drag, I know, I know! Five minutes is a very short time! But otherwise, we would be waiting hours!"

Blue shrugged, "Yes. I'll learn. But there is hot water, no?"

Syrena laughed and closed the door. "See for yourself!"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hello! Bati here,

Blue and Syrena are really getting along. Syrena is likely the most bubly and extroverted person in Cherry Hill, while Blue is rather shy and reserved. But do you think Blue will gradually open up?

The wars that Syrena refers to here are the Cold War which affected many Europen countries in the 70s.