20

I walk up to Craig's house with a weird feeling. One that is holding me back as if my intuition tells me something is up. I don't know why I feel so strange about Craig asking me to come over today. Honestly, it's probably nothing, and just the fact that our friendship is still pretty new. Yet still, as I lift my fist to knock on the door, I can't help but hesitate.

It doesn't take long for someone to answer. I was glad to see that it was Craig who opened the door rather than his sister or parents since I wasn't really in the mood to interact with someone I was not acquainted with. That could be because I got slightly tipsy before coming here and don't want to be suspicious around my new friends family. Maybe that's why I feel so anxious about this.

Ever since Kenny told me what Craig had said to him about being a bad friend since I'm still an alcoholic, I've felt more nervous around him since I know I'll have to bring it up at some point. Again, that could explain the butterfly feeling. The news about the words Tucker let slip through whatever anger he felt for the blonde stuck with me for a few reasons. The obvious one is that he called one of my best friends not a good one when he is probably the most caring person in my life. The other big reason for what Craig said, causing my anxiety to rise, is that he called me an alcoholic. Don't get me wrong, I know it's true, but I guess I always hoped it wasn't so obvious. The fact that Tucker knows makes me wonder who else does.

And if one of those people is Kyle.

I haven't talked to Kyle since Thursday after he said some things let's just say I would rather not have heard from someone who I'm romantically interested in. I've seen that he's been texting me, but I haven't read any of the messages. I wouldn't say I'm mad at him, which I'm sure is what Kyle thinks I'm feeling toward him, but I'm really just hurt. I don't think what he said was uncalled for—okay, it was a little uncalled for. Still, it's just more so that those words were like a punch to the brain, making me feel even more worthless than I already had, which I had thought was impossible. But when the person you care the most about shows that what they think of you is that you are worthless, needless to say, that's a massive blow to the ego.

"Hey dude, thanks for coming over. I know it's kind of random, but I was bored," Craig says as I step inside the Tucker household. When I entered, I met the now familiar surroundings of Craig's house. I began to calm down, realizing no other family members were at home. Or at least in sight.

"Yeah, no problem. I wasn't doing anything productive anyways," I scanned the room before my glance returned to none other than Tucker himself. Now that I can get a better look at the boy, I notice a slight tension in his persona. I'm not quite sure how I can tell since he has the same blank expression as always, but there's something different about him. His eyes. They look so... weak.

But then again, that could be the alcohol talking. Or more like seeing? Again, not sure.

"So, you wanna go up to my room?" I nod, and the two of us begin to head upstairs. As we did, we passed the collage of pictures on the staircase wall. With the glossy framing, I'm able to catch a glimpse of my reflection, making me wince. I look horrible. Not in the typical teen self-deprecating sort of way, but literally. I hadn't realized how big the eye bags under my eyes had become and how messy my hair was. I never thought that alcohol would make me see more clearly.

Maybe I just need more.

There was a slight pause in Craig's step when we were at his bedroom doorway. It wasn't too noticeable, but enough to where my initial intuition about this invite began to seem less crazy. We then entered the room, and I suddenly saw why Craig was acting strange, proving that I should stop ignoring my intuition.

"Kenny?" I stay still in the doorframe, staring at my blonde friend, who I'm pretty sure has issues with the person whose house we're in. After a long beat of silence, the elephant in the room question slips out, "What are you doing here?"