Prologue

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. A thriving city in the heart of South America, famous for its tourist attractions, including Copacabana Beach and the majestic Christ the Redeemer, was the capital of Brazil from 1763 to 1960.

The city, established on 1 March 1565, is still a major tourist destination and one of the most populous metropolises in the world. Famous also for its carnival, commonly referred to as the "carnival of Rio", its traditions remain of great interest and prestige.

The city occupies much of the western edge of Guanabara Bay and some of its islands, and is spread over narrow alluvial plains nestled between the surrounding mountains and hills. Rio de Janeiro has a tropical savannah climate, characterized by a rainy season that goes from December to March.

Rio is a city of contrasts, and although much of the city can be flanked by the most modern metropolises in the world, a significant percentage of the 13 million inhabitants of Rio still live in extremely poor areas.

The worst of these are the slums known as "favelas", often leaning against the hillsides, where it is difficult to build robust buildings, and landslides, caused mainly by heavy rains, are frequent.

The favelas are plagued by the spread of drug-related crimes, gang fights and other poverty-related social problems. Favela da Rocinha is the largest in Latin America.

Before the arrival of the Portuguese, the region was inhabited by several indigenous groups, which were exterminated or assimilated by Europeans. Rio de Janeiro has always been a destination for Portuguese immigrants. During the 19th and 20th centuries the city had a large concentration of immigrants, the largest Portuguese community in Brazil.

The area on which the city stands was reached for the first time by Portuguese explorers during an expedition led by Gaspar de Lemos on 1 January 1502. More than five hundred years later, in June 2006, mysterious bones were found near Mount Pão de Açúcar.

The bones, coveted for decades for unknown reasons, were collected by members of the organization "Delãndro", a criminal association born in the early 1900s in the city of São Paulo. But soon the news of the discovery reached Europe, home of the Speedwagon foundation.

James Kiburo, a prominent researcher and relic expert, was the person charged by the foundation to make sure that the bones were truly miraculous.

The day after receiving the assignment, Kiburo took a plane to Rio at 8:46 in the morning. After a long and tiring journey, he arrived in the city at 4:17 in the afternoon. There he rented a room of the luxurious hotel "Paraiso", where he stopped for a short nap before leaving at 8:19 in the evening, after dining, to go to the meeting place with a member of the organization.

Escorted by two patrols funded by the Speedwagon foundation, Kiburo arrived in front of the meeting place, the strip club "Encanto" at 10:01 p.m. The patrols stopped a few minutes before getting Kiburo out of the car, to ensure his safety. Nothing seemed suspicious, so Kiburo was ready to get off.

Once the car door opened, without even the time to set foot on the ground, Kiburo was drilled with blows by five men. Despite all the shrewdness, it had not come to a conclusion, since the organization Delãndro was absolutely not inclined to deal.

Kiburo had a family, he was a father of two girls and a perfect husband. He was a really hardworking person, gaining the respect from many of his colleagues. Kiburo's body was cremated, and scattered in the ocean. He was just one of the many victims of the bloody battle between rival organizations.

When the news reached the Speedwagon Foundation, it was decided to go the extra mile. After informing the boss of Passione, an important man of the organization was sent to Rio in order to obtain the bones by force.

The mysterious man left for Brazil at 9:46 a.m. The journey went smoothly, and in complete secrecy he arrived in Rio late in the afternoon. The man's task was to take a key member of the organization hostage in order to obtain the bones and deliver them to the foundation.

Towards the evening, the man moved by several buses to leave no trace of his arrival, and arrived at a restaurant where the member to be taken hostage dined every night.

The criminal's name was João Caradilla, "head" of the Delãndro organization and responsible for internal affairs.

Caradilla dined quietly, ordered a rare veal steak with a glass of Italian red wine, without imagining that soon his end would come.

The mysterious man sent by Passione entered the restaurant, sat down at a table near Caradilla and ordered simple salami with cheese and a glass of red wine.

In no time the man finished his meal, and walked to Caradilla's table, sitting by his side.

"João Caradilla, head of the organization Delãndro, born on November 7, 1965 in Brasilia. Criminal record more than clean, will it be because they're more corrupt than Italy here?" said the man once seduced, with a threatening air.

"And who are you? How the fuck do you know me?" replied Caradilla.

"I don't think you need to know who I am right now, but I think you'll be interested in finding out the causes of your death."

"My death? You bastard, are you here to kill me?"

"Not really. I'm here to get what's mine."

"Oh, right. You mean the bones? Oh yeah, them, I suppose. Ahaha! No one will ever give them to you, the boss doesn't care about anyone, just his business."

"So you're telling me that you're just his pawn?"

"Exactly. A pawn that will make you perish, you creep!" Caradilla said with a smile on his face, before he got up and threw out a gun, pointing it at the man.

"Die, you bastard!"

In no time Caradilla fired eight direct shots at the man, but, mysteriously, not a single one scored.

"W-what? I hit your forehead, how come you're still alive?" Caradilla was puzzled at the sight of the man who seemed invincible.

And as all those present fled in panic, the mysterious man stood up suddenly, and looking the enemy straight in the eye, he mimed a gun with his hand.

"Bang!" said the man, quietly.

Not even the time to hear, that Caradilla was on the ground, bleeding, with a bullet hit on the forehead. How was it possible? The man did not have a weapon in his hand, yet he managed to kill a leader of the organization.

After the murder, the man left the restaurant, calmly, and as the sound of the sirens polluted his hearing, he disappeared into the alleys. Once back in Italy, he told everything to the boss.

The man was Guido Mista, right-hand of the boss of Passione, Giorno Giovanna. The latter, known for being an extremely cold and reserved boy, never presented himself in person to issues that he could easily solve, and for this he was extremely feared by all.

The Speedwagon Foundation couldn't get the bones, but they were ready for anything.

But what power could they possibly have? And who could they belong to?

This was only the beginning of many bloodsheds.

The war had officially begun.