Chapter 28

*Sophie

"Oh," Riley said quietly, "I didn't realize - "

"No I know," I said, cutting her off. "You said we were just having fun and I um...yeah, I don't know."

I stumbled over my words like an idiot, I didn't know what else to say.

"I'm sorry Soph," Riley said.

I shook my head at her, "it's not your fault Riley."

"Okay well, I'm just going to go to bed then. Night." Riley said as she walked out of my room.

Fuck this was not going to be good.

I knew there was a good chance that telling her about my feelings would scare her off, but I couldn't help it. I couldn't keep watching her bring someone else home without telling her.

I walked over and flopped down on my bed and stared up at the ceiling. I laid there for a while, wondering what would come of this whole conversation.

I eventually fell asleep, and when the next morning came, I didn't want to get up. The thought of having to face Riley after our awkward conversation was not a pleasant one.

Unfortunately I had to go to work, so I didn't really have much of a choice. I got ready as much as I could in my room, and then quietly walked out to the kitchen.

Thankfully, it seemed like Riley wasn't up yet, so I quickly grabbed my breakfast and coffee and got ready to leave.

I grabbed the door handle and was almost out the door when I heard Riley's voice behind me.

"Sophie, one sec," she said.

I squeezed my eyes shut and debated just acting like I hadn't heard her, but it was a little too late for that since I'd already stopped in the doorway. I slowly turned around to face her.

"Yeah?" I said.

"Are you okay? Are we...are we okay?" She hesitantly asked.

I nodded, "yeah, all good."

I knew I didn't sound very convincing, but it was the best I could do.

"I have to get to work," I continued.

"Right, sorry, see you later," she said.

I had no idea how this was going to work, I was obviously going to have to get over these feelings for Riley if we were going to continue to live together. I definitely didn't want to ask her to move out, but if things continued on like this, it was going to be brutal.

I got to work that morning and walked into Alex's office and plopped down in a chair. Our morning check ins had become a regular occurrence.

He looked up and raised his eyebrows at me.

"No offense Sophie but uh, you don't exactly look great," he said.

I scowled at him, "wow thanks."

He laughed at me and shrugged, "sorry! I think we both know I'm right."

"Alright fine, I know," I said back.

"You okay?" He asked me.

"Yeah it's just - just more shit with Riley, I'll figure it out," I responded.

"Alright, if you're sure," he said.

I nodded and got up out of my chair, ready to go work on something to take my mind off of things.

"Talk to you later boss," I said as I walked out.

Having Alex as my boss definitely didn't seem ideal when he first started, but it was turning out to be pretty great having him around again. It was nice to have someone at work to talk to, and I suppose he was a pretty good boss too.

I ended up getting done with work a little bit early that day and I headed home. I walked into the house and wanted to turn back around and walk out when I saw Riley and Jackson sitting there. Riley was cuddled up next to him and it made me sick to my stomach.

Was she really doing this to me after the conversation we'd just had the night before??

As soon as she saw me walk in the door, she quickly got up off of the couch.

"Sophie! Hi, I didn't think - you're back early," she said, clearly feeling nervous.

I glanced over at Jackson before responding and noticed he was on the couch smirking. Another real winner.

"Yup...just finished up a little early today so..." the awkwardness was real.

I walked past Riley and back to my room. I'd been spending way too much time shut in here lately.

I changed my clothes and sat down on my bed as I turned the TV on. Something was going to have to change, because I wasn't going to be able to keep doing this.

A few minutes later there was a knock on my door.

God damn it, I thought, I really did not want to talk to Riley right now.

"Now's not really a good time," I said to my closed door.

"Can I come in for just a second," Riley said, "please?"

I sighed and put my hand on my forehead, "yeah, come in," I said reluctantly.

"I'm sorry," she said as soon as she walked in the door. "I didn't think you'd be home yet but - but it was still shitty of me."

"It's fine," I said, not taking my eyes off of the TV.

"Sophie, I want you to know that this has nothing to do with you, I just um...I'm not in a place right now to...well I wanted to have some fun, and I - "

I watched Riley's cheeks turn red as she struggled to try and explain herself to me. I sort of understood what she was saying, but it wasn't really making it any easier.

She stopped for a minute to collect her thoughts before continuing.

"It's not like I didn't enjoy what happened between us and um -" Riley continued to stumble over her words and I couldn't listen to it anymore.

"Riley," I cut in, "you don't have to keep trying to explain yourself. I get it."

I could tell how uncomfortable she had gotten and at this point I was really just hoping she would leave.

She put her head down and said, "okay, sorry again."

She turned and walked out and shut my door behind her and I let out a sigh of relief.

You know what, I thought to myself, if she can go out and "have fun," then fuck it, so can I.

——————————————————