Eggscape

Shadow stood, a figure of stoic resignation, amidst the GUN team building event - an obligation he endured rather than enjoyed. He surveyed the scene with a barely concealed disdain. "Team building," he mused internally, the notion as alien to him as the idea of frivolously basking in the sun.

Sonic, meanwhile, was in his element, laughing and darting between agents, a blue blur of morale boosting. They approached the axe throwing range, where Jet the Hawk was already commanding attention. He was boasting loudly about his throwing prowess, casting a sly wink at Shadow. "Just wait till you see my throw, bet Blaze would be impressed."

Shadow felt his grip on the axe handle tighten instinctively. In his mind's eye, he saw the axe flying straight for Jet's overconfident face. But the image was fleeting. "He's just an idiot," Shadow reminded himself, exhaling slowly to quell the rising irritation.

Then came Mina the Mongoose, her energy almost tangible as her curly violet hair bounced with each movement. She flitted between Shadow and Sonic, her flirtatious laughter a sharp contrast to Shadow's brooding silence.

"Mina, your aim would improve if you kept your eyes on the target rather than the talent," Sonic quipped, earning a playful swat from Mina.

Shadow, less amused, gave a curt nod, his patience wearing as thin as the edge of the axe blade.

Rouge, leaning casually against a nearby post, shared a knowing look with Shadow. "I would have paid to see you throw that at him," she teased, her voice low.

As the team slowly transitioned to the next event, Sonic, beaming with a success that Shadow felt was unearned, nudged him. "Hey, wanted to ask you about this weekend. How about we make it a double date? You and Blaze, me and Amy?"

Shadow's surprise was evident, a rare crack in his composed façade. "You're serious about her," he stated, more than asked.

"Yeah, you and Blaze... you make it look not so bad," Sonic admitted, rubbing the back of his head.

Shadow felt an unfamiliar warmth at his rival's admission and considered the invitation. The day's irritation seemed to lessen at the thought of Blaze's smile. "I'll... consider it," he conceded, the closest he'd come to an agreement.

As Shadow mulled over Sonic's proposal, Rouge sauntered up with a grin that spelled trouble. "Word on the street is, we're into double dates now," she chimed, her voice rich with playful provocation.

Shadow, who was being tried enough for one day, met her gaze with a resigned look. "Don't start, Rouge."

"Just saying, it's only fair. How about you, Blaze, me, and Knuckles? Next weekend. It'll be... enlightening," she suggested, the last word laced with her characteristic blend of intrigue and amusement.

Shadow sighed, his resistance waning under the weight of obligation and the peculiar sense of closeness these events seemed to foster. "Fine," he grumbled. "But I still don't see the appeal of these social rituals."

Rouge laughed, only causing the poor hedgehog to cringe more. "You will, Shadow. You will," she assured him, leaving him to wonder how his life had become a series of engagements he'd never envisioned for himself.

——-

As they transitioned to trivia, the game's setup added another layer to the evening. Mina, with her vibrant energy, took charge, her melodic voice attempting to rise above the chatter of her colleagues.

The teams were randomly assigned – Sonic teamed with Rouge, forming a duo as quick-witted as they were agile. Shadow found himself paired with Jet, whose non-stop boasting and fixation on Blaze grated on his nerves like a relentless saw on wood.