Pregame

Barely any time had based before the door burst open to reveal her mother. She threw her arms around her daughter. She was in histerics, Zia hated seeing her mother like this. She had been such a piller in her life, especially after her father left. He was a cheating drunk who dissapeared in the night with the mistress that he knocked up five years ago. Since then, Caspian had made it his job to be the man of the family. He wanted to prove to his family and to the world that he was better than his dead beat father. Zias mother had taken it hard, she had lover thier father more than anything, and had been trying to convince herself for a long time that he would change for the better. Change for them. But he never did. They had all taken care of each other, and now, the rest of her family was being sent to die. 

"Promise me youll get out baby. Promise me you wont leave me." Savanna Greyling bawled into her daughters shoulder. 

"Ill do my best mom," She whispered, trying to reamain as composed as possible. She couldnt afford to be emotional right now. A peace keeper came in and grabbed her mothers shoulder

"Times up." 

"No, No!"Savanna tried to fight the peacekeeper who just slapped her and began to drag her out of the room.

"Hey asshole, dont touch my mom!" Zia yelled at the masked man as she pushed the man off of her mother, who was crying even more now. The peacekeeper raised his hand to strike her too, when a hand grabbed his forarm, 

"You arent allowed to harm the tributes before they are placed in the games," Finnick snarled at the man, his voice low, daring the man to defy him. The peacekeeper didnt repy, he just stomped away down the corridor.  Mrs. Castellan then came in for her mother,

"Lets go Vanna, lets get you some tea." She softly put her arms around her friend and walked her out of the door.

That left just her and Finnick alone in the hallway. He quickly grabbed her writst and dragged her back into the room, closing the door behind him. Their arms were around each other the second the door closed. They held each other so tight Zia couldnt breathe for the 4th time that morning. She was afraid to let go of him, and from the feel of it, he felt the same way. 

"Im sorry. Im sorry. Im so sorry" Finnick muttered in her ear. 

"Hey no," Zia pulled away from the hug, "this isnt your fault Finnick. Nothing about this is your fault."

"It is, i wanted to protect you from this, i never wanted you to be a part of this.

"Finnick look at me. you couldnt have stopped this. No one can" The look in his eyes was enough to shatter her heart. He truely beleived that this was all somehow his fault. She wrapped her arms around his neck again and his immidiately circled around her waist. Thats how they stayed untill there was a knock at the door. 

"Its time to go." A voice commanded the teenagers. They relectantly let go of each other, and were escorted to the train, that would take her to the Capital. 

The ride to the Capital would take two days. The first day consisted of sitting in her compartment alone. Zia didnt want to see or talk to anyone as she processed what was going on. That night she cried herself into a drealess sleep. The next mornigng Zia woke up to the sound of raised voices. She groaned as she opened here eyes. Part of her wished that the reaping had been a dream. Just a horrible nightmare that would go away as soon as she woke up. But here she was aboard the Capital Train on her way to fight for her life in the arena with her brother. She registered the yelling again, she couldn't hear what the screaming match was about so she decided to get up and investigate. She made her way through the train cars making note of all of the expensive looking decorations the Capitol thought would make the tributes feel more comfortable as they rode towards their imminent demise. Idiots. She finally reached the source of the noise and put her ear to the door. 

"You have to do something!" Caspian shouted

"What am I supposed to do Cas!" Finnick yelled back

"I don't care just get her out of it"

"Don't you think if there was even the slightest possibility that I could save her from this I would?" Finnicks voice cracked.

At this Caspian was silent, he knew better than anyone that Finnick would do anything for Zia. There is no way in hell that he would let anyone or anything hurt her if he could help it. This was killing him. It was killing all of them. They had been an inseparable trio since the age of 10. There was no way all of them were making it out alive, an impossible choice would have to be made. The fact that this was happening to them in the first place made Zias blood boil. They were kids, fucking 18 year old kids. Finnick had just gone through this four years ago. She stopped herself there, thinking about Finnicks games made her want to throw up again. She remembered watching him on the tv, she didn't sleep for days, her eyes never leaving the screen. Before today, those where the worst 4 days of her life.

"Look" Caspian said much calmer now "I just want her to make it out alive. Promise me you will do whatever it takes to make sure she wins."

That is when Zia slammed open the door

"Cas don't you dare say another word" Both boys stood there shocked, they weren't aware that she had been listening.

"Zia..." Cas started

"No! Whether we like it or not this is happening and we are in this together. You aren't going to give up for me. I'm not letting you die. You can't die," she felt herself choke over her words. She couldn't imagine a world without her twin brother. He was her rock, her best friend. No one got on her nerves quite like Caspian but no one cared more than he does. He truly was one of the softest souls Zia has ever known. Life would be so dull without her literal other half. She couldn't even entertain the thought of loosing him.

"Cas promise me that when we get to the Capital you won't do anything stupid." Zia forced out each syllable, making sure her brother took in every word. It took him a while to respond but finally he looked from her to Finnick 

"fine." He her one last look before walking out the door towards the back of the train, leaving Zia and Finnick alone in the car. They just looked at each other. Zia noticed the way his wavy hair was messier than usual, it gave him a very rugged look that she couldn't say she didn't find attractive. His eyes looked dull and tired but they still contained the signature Finnick spark that always seemed to linger just beneath the surface. After a while Finnick opened is arms as if asking a question. Without hesitation Zia answered, wrapping her arms around his torso. That was where they remained for the rest of the short train ride, in each other's arms. Their hugs always seemed to bring Finnick back from the edge after a panic attack or a nightmare, Zia was able to breathe easier when Finnick was with her. They always felt safe in each others arms. They stayed together savoring the last fleeting moments of comfort that they could before the hard part began.