CHAPTER ONE

UNKNOWN's P.O.V.

It was getting dark, and I ran for a long time. A very long time. My feet were sore, and my lips were dry and patched. I looked around and realized that I had lost the zombies. I began to look for a safe place to spend my night. I walked for a few minutes and came across a wooden house that smelled terrible. It looked like a very good place to spend the night. A zombie would surely doubt if anyone stayed in a place like that.

I quietly opened the door which creaked a bit. I walked in and made sure my knife and gun were by me in case I came upon any threat. After inspecting the place, I sat down on the sofa and brought out a piece of stale bread I had stolen from a man who was heading north.

Just when I was about to take a bite, I felt a sharp object pointing at my throat. I carefully turned around to watch the face of my attacker.

When I turned back, I was shocked to find out that my attacker was no other than a very beautiful girl of my age who peered down at me with a mesmerizing shade of blue eyes and long blonde hair. She was staring down at me as if I was some puzzle she was trying to solve. I suddenly felt irritated by her and mesmerized by her beauty all at once.

"I asked you a question, stranger. Who are you? How did you find this house? Are you here to send my family off to some military base?" with these last words, her grip tightened around the knife.

Even though I didn't hear the question at first, I pretended as if I did.

"I just didn't want to reply. I don't tell strangers my name. I was running away and came by your house to spend the night." I then realized her other hand had reached for my neck, so I carefully moved away. I didn't want to be seduced by some pervert girl.

"Remove your hands from me. Don't touch me. If you want, I would love to leave your house rather than get seduced." Just when I headed to the door, I spotted about fifteen zombies through the window walking in our direction. I wasn't in the mood to deal with them.

I turned back wearily towards the girl, who gave me a sly grin and boldly folded her hands across her chest. "Fine. I'm staying the night. If we'd live peacefully in this house, we'd have to know each other's names." I said coldly. She flinched at my tone, but I didn't care.

"I'm Ephreona. What about you?" She said in a gentle voice. "I live here with my sister and mother in the basement." She continued looking at me as if she was waiting for a reply while blushing hard.

"Don't flatter yourself. You are definitely not my type." She looked hurt for a second, but it was gone within seconds. I scoffed and turned to pick my bag. "Hey, weird girl." I could feel her eyes on my back.

"The name is Xavier."

...................................................................................................................................

Ephreona led me through a small opening into a room. It smelled like civilization. I couldn't remember the last time I had smelt so many people in a place. There was a faint smell of perfume there. In there, I saw a middle-aged woman and a girl that looked to be about fifteen or thirteen. They both looked surprised to see me.

"Mum, I didn't know people were still living. It's been long since I saw people's faces." The girl said to the woman and back to me. "Sorry, my manners. I'm Senah and this is my mother, Joanna."

Their mother just gave me a nod and turned away. It looked like she was in deep thought. Her eyes were swollen as well. The girl, Senah, looked like it had been long since she smiled or had been entertained. They all looked... lost. She asked Ephreona about where she found me and when she was answered, she sat at the far end of the room and kept on staring at me as if I was the new statue in the town square. I also turned away and began eating my stale bread.

"Mum, I just remembered. The grocery shop has no more food in it anymore. We have to move soon else we'd go hungry." Ephreona said. Miss Joana sighed and responded. "Okay...But I have something to say. I'm sorry... I-I...b-but I don't think I'm moving with you guys."

Both girls turned to face their mother. "What do you mean, Mum? I don't get it."

"You're both grown now. I can't live in this anymore. I want to be with your dad. He was my world. We're all going to die in the end. Why do we have to run then? I feel like I'm not breathing! I need to be free. I'm tired of surviving!"

"Mum, you're not the only one who lost someone. We lost people too. He was our dad too. You have us. We didn't get the chance to do the things you got to do before the zombies." Senah argued.

"I'm sorry, but I can't do this anymore. I don't care what any of you is going to say. My mind is made up. Thanks for your care and concern." Miss Joana said while tears rolled down her cheeks. Senah looked betrayed while Ephreona sobbed quietly.

"You know what, do what you what. I'll take Senah with me tomorrow. You can die in peace. But I want you to know something, you're not the only one who lost people. People lost their whole families but still haven't given up. There are people out there. Even though I know your mind is made up, there's a part of me that actually hopes you listen to us."

With these final words, Ephreona sat still and looked away making sure she wasn't facing any of us. I was sure she was waiting for morning to leave the house. But one thing was for sure, she was crying.

In all, it's not like I cared anyway. Humans were just... something.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Please, don't forget to comment.