Chapter 2: Encounters

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

When Dami suggested we have 'a little get together', I didn't think he meant a full-blown party.

The house was practically overflowing with people from all over campus whilst Drake blared from the speakers. Chairs and tables had been pushed against the wall, transforming the living room into a makeshift dancefloor where people danced or attempted to wildly. Clouds of marijuana float through the air coating every crevice of the house in its stench whilst simultaneously contributing to the existing scents of sweat and alcohol. The voices of the partygoers and Drake were practically competing in my ears and one was clearly winning.

"Great game tonight, Alex."

"You and the boys did your shit on the ice."

"You played well."

Compliment after compliment filled my ears as I made my way to the kitchen, in search of a beer. I acknowledged them with a nod or a smile since I didn't have the energy to muster up an answer. It was always the same three compliments repeated like a broken record and sure it felt great but it had now grown repetitive.

It was HVPB tradition to celebrate after destroying another team at a game. Celebrating was throwing a party, clubbing, getting beers, and inviting the team over.  It also consisted of leaving with a hot guy or girl on your arm and getting up to no good for the rest of the night.

Once I reach the kitchen counter, I feel a heavy arm around my shoulder before looking over to who the arm belongs to. I was limiting myself to 3 drinks tonight since we had hockey practice early the next day and I knew half the guys were going to wake up with head-splitting headaches and I'm not trying to be one of them.

Dami. The organiser of this chaos.

"Am I the best party thrower or am I the best party thrower."He questions knowingly

"When you said let's have 'a little get together', I was expecting the rest of the team and a couple of beers, not all this."

"Alex, how long have you known me?" He questions, squinting his eyes in fake suspicion.

"Practically my whole life." I respond

Me and Dami have been friends forever, we first met in middle school. I had been sent to the principal's office for misbehaving and he just happened to be there for the same thing. After that, we became inseparable, from hockey to partying, we always did it together. Over the years, our friendship grew into one of the strongest relationships I have had in my life. Our friendship had transcended the state of friendship and was more like brotherhood. He was a constant in the ever-changing tapestry of my life and I wouldn't have it any other way.