Chapter 4: What Happens In Walmart, Stays In Walmart

*Michael’s P.O.V*

            Where did that girl go?  I couldn’t find Caylee anywhere.  I’d already gotten my coffee, creamer and office supplies; and I’d already paid for them too.  It’s been an hour since I the time we were supposed to meet in the McDonalds.  And I’d been searching the store for her ever since she never showed up.  Could she have run away to try and escape the police?  No, I don’t think she would have done that.  My pocket started buzzing, so I pulled my phone out and read the new text I’d just gotten.

From: You know who.

To: Michael

-It’s done.

            Oh crap crap crap.  Not already!  Why?!  I thought they were going to do it later!  Not in the middle of a Walmart!  I figured they would do it in the middle of the night in an alley or something.  Ugh!

To: You know who.

From: Michael

-Where?  I need her now.

From: You know who.

To: Michael

-Lady’s department dressing rooms.

            REALLY?!  What the heck.  Well I guess I could try to find the positive in the situation; at least they did it in a semi-private place.  It’s not like they did it in the middle of an aisle or something like that.  I headed over to the dressing rooms and immediately found the one I needed.  Ugh.  They left the door open when they were done!  Anyone could have found her!

            I put on my most worried and concerned face, “Caylee?  Caylee, what happened?  Are you okay?  Caylee?”  As if I didn’t already know what had happened.  I shook my head.  I think I got myself into something that I didn’t know how to get out of.

            Caylee started to stir; she groaned and put her hand up to the back of her head.  She must have fallen and hit the bench.  Why were they so rough with her?  There was no need for that!

            “Hey, Caylee?  Are you okay?  What happened?”  I asked earnestly.

            “Ugh, Michael?  What. . . what are you doing here?”  She asked in reply.

            “We were supposed to meet in the McDonalds remember?  When you didn’t show up, I got worried and started looking for you.  I remembered that you had said you wanted to get some new clothes, so I figured I should look over here, and I found you passed out in here,” I lied.  Well, I guess the getting worried and looking for her part wasn’t a lie, but the rest of it was.  I didn’t look over here because I had remembered she wanted new clothes, I looked over here because I was told to.

            “Oh, um, I guess I slipped and fell on my way in here,” she said.  I knew that was a lie.  I guess they told her to keep her mouth shut.  Well I still needed to pretend to be worried; I wasn’t going to let her see right through me.

            “Are you sure?  You look a little scared, and maybe a little beat up too.  Are you sure all you did was slip?” I asked.

            “I’m, I’m really not sure.  My head is really pounding, but I’m sure that’s what must have happened, I can’t think of anything else that would have happened.”

            “Okay.  Maybe we should go pay for your stuff and get you back to the motel so you can change and come back down to the station with me.  We still need you to give us fingerprints and DNA samples so that we can make sure you didn’t kill that girl.”

            “O-okay, yeah, sure.  Let’s do that.”

            We paid for Caylee’s stuff and I couldn’t help but notice she was looking around her anxiously, like she was just waiting for someone to jump right out at her.  They must have given her quite a fright earlier.  I just hope they didn’t do any serious damage.  She was too nice and pretty to be – wait, stop.  I did not just think that.  I am not starting to like her; that would be a serious threat to not only me, but her as well.