ᴛᴡᴏ

✩₊˚.⋆☾⋆⁺₊✧
ᴛᴡᴏ
✩₊˚.⋆☾⋆⁺₊✧

Hongjoong didn't let the sudden distance bother him.

He kept to himself and ignored the arguments, the tension and misshapen trust that had broken out among the group in pairs.

Practice was agonizing and every mistake left the young boys grabbing at each other's throats, voices hoarse and patience dwindling.

Their team was strong, dependable and brought together by a single dream, but their compatibility was what made them destructible.

It was what made Seonghwa and Hongjoong avoiding each other the biggest problem in the world, because the other members felt it like a burden, could sense it from a mile away, and they fueled it, let it knock them down and bruise them ruthlessly.

They allowed it to wreck whatever stability they had, and Hongjoong watched as their group cracked.

One relationship faltered and the rest of them snapped, forcing a disconnect between all eight boys that Hongjoong couldn't sort through, couldn't even begin to fix.

It was his job, his one useful role in the thoughtless clash that was their group, and he had no promising ideas.

Except for one.

And after almost two weeks of painful silence and avoidant gazes that dashed along the practice mirrors just trying to catch a distorted glimpse, Hongjoong was the first to move.

He was the first to break.

Seonghwa had been keeping close with San ever since Hongjoong was kicked out of the picture, spending nights watching anime with San rather than lounging in the studio with his foot nudging Hongjoong's ankle, and tonight was no different.

Mingi had suggested they all watch a movie together, and after spending the weekend huddled in the practice room arguing, the others had no choice but to agree, each boy feeling either guilty or obligated.

They squeezed into the tiny living room with a purpose, Yeosang and Mingi sprawling out across the collapsing loveseat as though they were most comfortable with their legs overlapping, Yunho and Wooyoung occupying the floor, with Hongjoong, San, Jongho, and Seonghwa situated on the larger couch.

Seonghwa was packed in between them, leaning heavily against San in a way that made Hongjoong unbearably self conscious.

"How come Sannie gets a spot on the couch?" Wooyoung pouted, gesturing towards the older boy who was kind enough to look sympathetic when he brushed the younger's hair back.

"You can all stop using my age against me you know... we all know it's bullshit-"

"Ah, Jung Wooyoung!" Seonghwa shouted vehemently, unclasping his hands that had been folded on his lap to throw them into the air with passion.

San giggled, pressing against Seonghwa's shoulder with a blushing smile that made the room lighten and fill with laughter, the kind that sounded genuine and bright as it mixed in the air.

It was nice, peaceful in a way that things hadn't been in a while, but while the others felt themselves settle in as the movie started and the lights dimmed, Hongjoong found that his eyes were drawn elsewhere.