Chapter One: A Deal in the Dark

"The security guard said to come here," Benji whispered, checking the scrap of paper in his hand for the umpteenth time. The note didn't change. "But... there's nothing here. How is this going to help my mom?"

A wind blew, bringing with it crumpled fast food wrappers and rolling styrofoam cups, bouncing every few rolls. The bright lights of the city seemed muted. Though the buildings surrounding him were still lit, music and voices blaring out into the street, somehow, staring across the street to the alley, the darkness fingered out from between buildings and threw a haze over the lights. Even the wind, normally warm from the south, had turned, and now drove down from the north, poking with icy tendrils at exposed skin.

Shivering, Benji stepped into the alley.

The alley's pavement was sticky; the discarded boxes lining the wall leaked strange, unidentified goo that smelled of sewage and dead things. The surrounding buildings blocked the wind, and also, somehow, the noise.

Benji froze and looked around; there were no lights in the alley and it seemed too quiet. He turned and looked back toward the street; the neon lights of the buildings still glowed, but all the music and voices had stopped. He swallowed and returned his gaze to the back of the alley. That's when he saw him.

The man leaned nonchalantly against the brick wall, black sweatshirt with a bright red logo on the front, a laughing horned figure below the word "Devils" done in cursive; the "D" had horns and a spiked tail sprouting from it. The man's hood was pulled up and sunglasses obscured his eyes, though it almost looked like the dark lenses were blocking light from leaving the man's eyes more than preventing light from entering them. A flashing fidget spinner twirled and spun in his fingers, the lights extra bright against the darkness. Noxious warm air wafted up from the vents under the man's combat boots.

The hooded head glanced up, lights of the fidget spinner flashing off the lenses of the sunglasses. "Hey, kid. Nate sent ya, didn't he?"

"Um. Yes," Benji said uncertainly, remembering the impossibly tall, hunchbacked guard at the hospital who'd slipped him the note as he stumbled out the door. "He... said you could help me?"

The hood nodded. "Good, good. Nate's my friend's half-brother. If he sent ya, that means there's something you want. So, Benji, what's your heart's desire?"

"H-how do you know my name?" Benji asked quietly.

"Doesn't matter," the man replied. The lights continued to flash as the fidget toy spun in the man's fingers, red light making the man's face under the hood almost seem to glow an eerie red hue. "Name's Nick. I can help you, as long as you help me. So. What's your most fervent desire?"

"M-my mom." Benji swallowed, stepping closer to Nick. "She... was in an accident. H-hasn't woke up." He sniffled, fingers swiping the tears from his eyes and wiping his nose with the back of his hand. "I-I just... want her to get well."

The fidget spinner stopped spinning, the lights all going out, plunging the alley further into darkness.

"That can be done. But, as I said, you need to help me." Nick pushed off from the wall and stood straight, hood falling back from his face. In the creeping shadows, it looked like he had horns. "Once you leave here, look at the note Nate gave you; you'll find a list of tasks. Complete them and return here before one day is up, and your mother will get better."

"What... kind of things do you need?" Benji asked, scrap of paper crunched tightly in his hand.

Nick laughed. "Oh, nothing too difficult; you're just ten, after all. Not like I'm asking you to sell me your soul." He chuckled and a red light flashed across his sunglasses. "Of course, sending a child out alone to complete these tasks would be cruel, so my friend, Raeph, will help you."

Benji jumped as a man appeared at his elbow, the alley seeming to brighten. The man smiled gently and extended a hand. "Good evening, Benji. My name is Raeph. I'll help you complete your tasks so your mother can get well." Raeph wore a white sweatshirt, a large "A" in silver on it with a golden halo at its tip and wings sprouting from its sides.

"Remember, Benji. Complete the tasks and return here. You have one day." Nick turned and walked away, fidget spinner once more flashing red as it twirled in his fingers.