Dancing in the Lilies-12

I just stood there, hanging on to Ty for dear life. I knew that I could be perfectly content with breathing his scent and loving the feeling of being in his arms. We stood there for a couple of minutes until I felt Ty's hands sliding down my back and resting on my butt. I pulled away from him and looked up at him. He was smiling down at me. "Ya know Cowboy, I used to think you were a gentleman." I said as seriously as I possibly could.

He laughed and said "come on Chicago, everyone's gotta have a little fun sometime." I pulled away from him and walked off towards the flowers. I sat in the sweet smelling field and took everything in. I knew that no matter where I went in the world, I would never experience anything like I was experiencing this summer. And to think that I didn't even want to come to Texas in the first place! I felt Ty slide up behind me. He put his chin on my shoulder. "What are you thinking about?" He asked, placing a soft kiss on my shoulder.

"Just that I didn't really want to come to Texas in the first place. Now, I'm so glad I did. I can't imagine never having met you and I can't believe how close i've gotten with my grandma and sister. I'm so glad I came out here." His grip on my tightened.

"I'm glad you came out here too." There was silence, as we just sat there. After a while, he started to talk again. "Leah, when's your birthday?" He asked me.

"July 14, why?" I asked a little confused.

"I was just wondering. That's coming up soon." He was right. It was July 1st already. I hadn't realized that June had passed so quickly.

"I didn't realize that that was coming up so quickly. June passed way to fast. You know, I'm leaving at the end of July." I said sadly, I didn't want to leave him.

"Hey, don't think about that. Think about your birthday. You're going to be 20. What do you want?"

I hadn't really thought about it until he asked. "Um, I don't really know. I haven't really thought about."

"Well, think about it and let me know. My birthday is August 20th and I want a new truck." I laughed at how cute he was. It had been way to long since we had done this.

"I don't want you to get a new truck. I love your truck." He kissed the back of my head.

"I'm glad you love my truck." We sat in silence for a little while longer, enjoying being there with eachother. After a while, Ty started to talk. "You know what would be fun?"

"What?" I asked. I could only imagine what he was thinking.

"We should play strip poker. I looked up at him with wide eyes.

"What?" I was shocked that he would say that. It wasn't like Ty to suggest something like that.

He burst out laughing. "Wow, you should have seen your face. It was hillarious" I started laughing too.

"That's funny. What would you have done if I would have agreed to it?" I could see the ideas running through his mind and I didn't even want to know what he was thinking. "You know what? Don't answer that." We both laughed.

"But seriously, you know what would be fun?" I looked up at him, waiting for him to go on. "I think that we should catch fireflies."

I looked at him like he was crazy. "What? Catch fireflies? When did we become eight years old?"

Ty laughed "Come on Chicago, don't be such a city slicker. Lighten up." He nudged me with his arm.

I laughed and stood up. "Alright Cowboy, we can catch fireflies." I loved the lily field at night partly because of all of the fireflies that danced around, their lights shining like stars around us.

Ty held up his hands. "That's not it. Whoever catches the most in one minute wins." I laughed and shook my head.

"Okay, let me get this straight. You want to catch lightning bugs and whoever catches the most wins. So we are like competetive children now?" My tone was light and easy. He nodded, making me laugh. "Okay, so what if I win?"

He took a step closer to me and kissed my forehead. "I'll give you whatever you want for your birthday." I laughed, not knowing  how much he was implying there.

Ty set a timer on his phone, and we started trying to catch the small little bugs that were darting around the night sky. I was laughing so hard that I was shaking, so by the time the minute was up, I only had only caught two fireflies. Ty beat me easily and looked at me with pride in his eyes. He had the same smile that you would expect from an 8 year old who's little league team had just won a championship. "I win Chicago. Now you have to tell me what you want for your birthday."

I laughed. "I honestly don't know. Let me think about it and I'll get back to you." He took me in his arms. I could feel the rapid movements of his chest as I hugged him. I looked at my phone. It was 2:00. He was going to be so tired doing chores tomorrow. "Do you think we should go? You have to do chores in a few hours. You're going to be tired."

He kissed the top of my head and pulled back to look into my eyes. "Leah, I would stay up for days if that meant making you happy." It was at that moment that I think I started to admit to myself that I was in love with Ty.

It was also at that moment when I realized what I wanted for my birthday. "Ty, I know what I want for my birthday. It's something that i've always wanted but never told anyone I wanted." He looked me with a confused look on his face.

'Well first, I want you to stop calling me Chicago and City Slicker." I have him an evil grin.

He laughed. "Well City Slicker, that's not going to happen. Anything else?"

I took a deep breath. "I want to dance in the rain." I was worried he would laugh at me or think that I was dumb.

He looked into my eyes. "Honey, we don't get a whole lot of rain around here, but I will try to bargain with mother nature herself into getting it to rain if that's what you want." He kissed my forehead and sighed. "Maybe we should get going." I looked at my clock and saw that it was 2:30. 

I looked down. "Ok." I mumbled, not wanting to let him go. 

"Come on, I'll drive you home." He grabbed my hand and started to lead me towards the woods to leave the park. First, he picked up a lille and tucked it behind my ear. Then, he led me into the woods and out of the park to take me home. I hoped that things would change soon so I could see him again. I didn't want to sneak out again. But I had to admit, as guilty as I felt about sneaking out, I had a lot of fun tonight.

*******************************************************************************************************************

I know this chapter was kind of short, but I needed to put it in order to talk about their little "date." It was also important in how they're feelings are developing for eachother. Thank you to everyone who keeps reading my story! I'm getting a couple of votes and a couple of comments. Thanks!