November (2023): 17. Fog

He gulped. This wasn't supposed to happen. This was not supposed to happen.

Did he make this?

The fog was poisonous, and because there was no other way for this to go down-- James was saving everyone. He'd taken seven people out of the fog, and Sirius saw him enter the grey mist, which would kill him.

"We were doing this today?" Remus asked.

"No," I didn't do this. "Where's Regulus?"

"Peter's finding out," Remus replied, unbothered by the poisonous smog. "Andromeda can't make it. And I can't reach Bellatrix,"

"Hmm..." Sirius replied. "Did Peter let the fog out?" Remus shook his head. "There is supposed to be fog, not sm-" Sirus whipped his head around.

"Is that... Peter?" Both of them rushed out. Down three floors and to the left, Bellatrix closed the door which held the fog.

"Run!" She hollered at them.

As they were opening the door, Sirius noticed the fatal flaw. 

"The fog is outside,"

"I don't think I'll make it!" Rodolphus said. "C'mon! Do you want to die?"

"There was fog outside, idiot!" Sirius told his cousin's husband. "But we might have a better chance of survival!" He twisted the knob and threw himself to the ground; as Regulus screamed from somewhere inside.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

They were supposed to be dead.

Yet as he opened his eyes, the fog hadn't done the deed. Bellatrix panted by him-- and Remus stared ahead in shock. He took a moment to catch his breath.

"Where's Rudo?" He asked. He, Bellatrix, Remus and Rodolphus had all escaped, right? Lucius shrugged.

Someone collapsed. Sirius turned, his head hurting, to see James. He was hardly breathing.

"What on earth were you thinking?" Lucius asked eventually.

"I didn't give permission. No one asked me,"

"And how long was it before you tried to stop it?"

"We ran down once we found out it was our fog," Sirius lied. "Me and Remus, but the damage was done,"

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

He stared at James, wishing it was him instead.

He was alone. Regulus, Rabastan and Peter were dead. Rodoulphus probably also died. The others left.

What surprised him was that no one came for James. James, the saviour and protector, had no one soul looking for him. People did see James-- but were unbothered. No one cared about the fact that their hero had died.

He tried to wake James several times.

"Oh, come on! You're too stubborn to die!" Sirius murmured to James, desperate. Guilty.