Chapter one-Distant

~
Many people are afraid of or hate the ocean. I've never understood people like that. Everything about it is comforting to me. The gentle crash of the waves to the shore, the feeling of sand beneath my feet. It's just so much better than the actual world.
A painful wind hits me causing my face to feel like a thousand needles are hitting, and it's funny, because I don't mind. I relish this feeling. I fall back onto the sand and close my eyes.
It is only until my childhood best friend Marco finds me here that I am snapped out of this trance.

"Ahem?" He sits next to me. Looking at me

"Huh? Oh. Hey Marco." I replied.

"Wow, not even excited." He says, pretending to be said but then laughing about it.

     "Alright alright! I'm sorry!" I said jokingly, holding my hands up.

      "Anyways, what are you doing out here?" He asks.

     "Oh." I pause for a second. "Just.. thinking." I gently smile at him, and he gets up.

     "Really? Alone on the beach at night just thinking?" He questions.

     "Is that really that hard to believe?" I ask back.

     "I guess not." He pauses, looking down, then getting up.

     "Well, have fun thinking." He says, walking away.

     "I will!" I shout back at him jokingly. I look back at the sand, then at my legs. I laid back down on the sand. My smile faltered and I looked back up at the ocean. I sighed and rested my eyes.
     As I rest along the coastline, I think to myself, "The ocean is prettier at night."

~