CHAPTER ONE

It was very dark. Something was approaching, Blaze could feel it. The tom's eyes widened as he scanned the thick underbrush. Even though he was unfamiliar with the environment, he was drawn deeper into the shadows by the strange scents.

He was made aware of his hunger by the growling in his stomach. He slightly opened his mouth so that the fragrant glands on the roof of his mouth could take in the warm scents of the forest. A small furry creature's alluring scent blended with the musty smell of leaf mold He was abruptly passed by a gray flash. Blaze halted while he listened. It was less than two tail-lengths away, concealed in the foliage.

Because of the tiny heart's rapid beating deep inside the fur of his ears, Blaze could feel that it was a mouse. He choked down a growl and swallowed. His hunger would soon be sated. He crouched for the attack while lowering his body gradually.

He was near the mouse's downwind side. It was unaware of him, he knew that. He checked one last time for his prey's location then he lept. Blaze pushed back forcefully on his haunches, kicking up leaves on the forest floor as he rose.

In search of safety, the mouse dove toward a ground hole. However, Blaze was already on top of it. With his thorn-sharp claws, he caught the helpless creature and lifted it into the air before tossing it up in a high arc onto the leaf-covered ground. The mouse touched down alive but confused. It attempted to flee, but Blaze again snatched it up.

Once more, he threw the mouse, but this time it was thrown a little further away. Before Blaze caught up with the mouse, it was able to run a short distance. There was whispering that appeared out of nowhere. The mouse was able to escape Blaze's claws as he spun around and peered around.

As soon as Blaze turned around, he saw it dart into the shadows among some tangled tree roots. Blaze stopped his search in rage. With glaring green eyes, he spun around to locate the noise that had cost him his kill.

The whispering persisted and became more accustomed. Blaze's eyes flickered open. The forest was no longer there. He was curled up in his bed in an abandoned kitchen. The shadows on the slick, hard floor were created by moonlight that came through the window. The wind was making a noise as it passed through a broken window.

It was a dream. He raised his head, letting his chin rest on the edge of his bed. Uncomfortably, his collar rubbed against his neck. Fresh air was ruffling the soft fur in his dream where the collar would normally itch. Blaze turned onto his back and continued to enjoy the dream for a short while.

He still detected mouse odor. He had the dream three times in a moon, and each time the mouse escaped his grasp. His lips were licked. He could smell his bland food from his bed. Food spilled onto the floor after a large bag of cat food was torn. His dream's warm scents were chased away by the dusty smell.

Blaze stretched the sleep from his limbs as the hunger continued to rumble through his stomach, Blaze pushed himself up and he padded across the kitchen floor. The taste of the food struck him as being bland and dry. Blaze swallowed one more mouthful grudgingly. He then turned his back on the food and pushed open the cat flap in the hopes that the scent of the garden would revive his dream. The moon was shining brightly outside.

There was a drizzle. Blaze made his way along the orderly garden's gravel path while feeling the cold, sharp stones beneath his paws. He jumped up onto the fence, swayed, and stood there while gazing out into the forest. Although the woods beyond his fence were completely shadowed, the overgrown lawn behind him was bathed in moonlight.

Blaze extended his head forward to inhale the moist air. Under his thick coat, which kept him warm and dry, he could feel the weight of the raindrops, which glittered on his ginger fur. He shifted his focus to the woods. After the rain, the fresh scent of the woods was even stronger. His spine's fur started to prickle out of nowhere. Blaze peered forward, trying to see or smell if there was anything out there that was moving or watching him.