CHAPTER TWO

The mouse dream reappeared that morning, this time being even more vivid than before, as Blaze rested after his night of wandering. He stalked the fearful creature while unconstrained by his collar and the moonlight.

But he was conscious of being observed this time. He noticed dozens of yellow eyes shining from the forest's shadows.

The Clowder cats had arrived in his lucid dream. Blaze woke up startled as something lept from the shadows and tore into his throat. a voice called out "You ok, Blaze" He turned to face his sister Princess and said, "Yeah, I'm fine just having a nightmare." He got up and went outside.

Smudge called out, "Morning Blaze," and Blaze jumped up onto the fence next to him, "You should have been up an hour ago when the baby sparrows were learning to fly." he meowed to Blaze licking a paw.

"Did you catch them?" Blaze asked. Smudge yawned and licked his muzzle. "Couldn't be bothered. I had already had enough food at home. Anyway, you were complaining about tigger sleeping all day yesterday, and today you're not much better yourself, so why weren't you out earlier?" Smudge asked

Blaze rolled his eyes and meowed, "In case you forgot, last night, I went into the woods and met three cats."

Smudge's eyes widened "And you made it out alive!?" he meowed in horror "Yes, I did. They even asked me to join their clowder." Blaze cocked his head and said, "Perhaps they need more cats, so I'm thinking of joining them."

Smudge climbed the fence and stood in front of Blaze. He cried out in terror, "Please don't go, Blaze. I might never run into you again." Blaze lovingly gave him a gentle head nudge.

"Don't be sad. You'll find a different cat. You two will get along just fine. You get along with everyone!" "But it won't be the same!" Smudge exclaimed, Blaze's tail began to twitch impatiently.

"Exactly, that is the point. It's boring here because everything is the same." he meowed. Smudge had a perplexed expression. "Boring?" He echoed, "Yes, everything is monotonous and the same. Instead of acting like tigger, I want to try something new," Blaze said. ''oh." Smudge looked down at his paws.

"Well, I guess I know He's a little bit lazier now, but he's not unhappy." He muttered. "Fun was still a possibility." Blaze simply sighed, "Smudge, ever since I was young, I've dreamed of being in the forest, running around, and catching prey. I want to be free from this life."

Smudge looked down, "Oh guess I should have known you've never been happy here. Well, let's have one last day of fun together." Smudge meowed, nuzzling Blaze. He nodded while grinning.

He visited his old haunts with Smudge and conversations with the cats he had known since he was a youngster had Blaze enjoying the morning even more than usual. He experienced a supercharged sense of heightened awareness in every sense, as though he were about to make a significant leap. Blaze grew impatient to see if Snowstar would be waiting for him as sunhigh drew near.

"So this is it," Smudge asked. "Yeah, I'm going to miss you, Smudge. You'll always be my best friend." Smudge hugged Blaze before leaping over the fence. where he first encountered the clowder cats the previous evening, Blaze was standing at the edge of the forest.

The shade provided by the tall trees kept the ground cool during the midday sun. A sliver of sunlight occasionally peaked through a gap in the leaves and illuminated the forest floor. Blaze detected the same cat scent as the previous evening, but he was unsure of its age.

Sniffing Uncertainty, he raised his head. "You have a lot to learn" a voice meowed from the bushes. "The smallest Clowder kittens can detect the presence of another cat." Snowstar stepped out of the bushes. "Can you tell if I'm alone?" the scents of the forest hit the roof of his mouth. "Lionheart and Hurricanepaw aren't with you but someone else is," he said.