The Snakes Start To Sing (One Shot)

The reason behind this story is I always pondered the thought as to why the boys get to become the bad guy, why not the girl? So this is my take on it, I hope you enjoy it.

My thumb gently rubbed against the Polaroid picture of me and the red headed girl I knew long ago. I wondered where she had gone off to, was she anywhere near good? Was she still in danger? Questions like these always leave me awake at night. Feeling hopeless and empty, I continued to look at the old picture my brother had taken and teased me about when I was a young boy. I stared longer and longer at the picture, the bruises on her arms were fading and the bruise on her cheek barely visible, but to me it was there. All the bruises will always be there. I always knew she wasn’t in good hands, but what could I have done? Absolutely nothing. Everyone knew she got abused, but we all kept our silence, hoping the police will hear the screams hear at night and stop the nightmare she lives every day.

“Niall, are you still awake?” My mother came through the door, seeing me in only my briefs and an old shirt that I hate. She saw me and possibly thought the worst, knowing I’m a boy in briefs looking at a picture. She quickly left my room but I stopped her. I got up and walked up to her, she probably knows more than I do.

“Mom, do you still remember her? Y/N? Where’d she go?” I showed her the tiny square picture of me laughing and Y/N crying as she was dripping wet. My mom held the picture in her hands, covering her mouth as she giggled. I smiled as I saw her reaction, but then my smile dropped as something crossed over her face quickly.

“She’s gone. Gone where, I don’t know. She’s just a speck in the dirt, boy.” She shook her head as she handed me back the picture that held many unanswered questions.

“Fuck.”

*

It was early in the morning and both Harry and Liam came through the door as if it were their house. I smiled as I saw their company; it’s been weeks since I have last seen their faces. “Aye mate! Any food left?” Harry hollered. I nodded as I shoved the last bite of a tuna sandwich that my mother prepared in the earliest of the early in the morning.

“Niall, you told me about a girl named Y/N right?” Liam said as he sat down in front of me in the dining table that only accommodated five people (max). I nodded as he opened his new Macbook Air Pro that he probably bought a week ago. As he opened up Safari (why he uses that is beyond me) he showed me a video broadcast of the States. “Just watch.” He murmured as he played the video.

“Breaking news, the never found drug dealer Maxwell Cipriano has been found today, dead in this very warehouse behind me. Autopsy showed the Cipriano had been shot several times but the cause of death was a drug overdose. Forensics has found a video tape of Y/N Cipriano, his daughter admitting to her father’s death.” Her voice descended as a poor quality video began to play, showing a purple haired girl with smudged eyeliner.

“I killed my father. Y/N Cipriano, the never wanted daughter of Maxwell Cipriano, the all too famous drug dealer in the U. S Fucking A! If you plan on capturing me, good luck. Think about this, how do you find someone whodoesn’t want to be found?”

Then, the video cut off and I was left breathless, my heart threatening to pop out of my chest. Harry stared at me, along with Liam who was also left in the same condition I am in. I never said anything; I just ran my fingers through my hair as the same thought ran across my head, ‘I’m in love with a murderer.

*

We’re on tour now, and with every minute I’m awake I think about her, the now purple haired girl with an unruly cut and smudged eyeliner. I cannot imagine her holding a gun and shooting a gun at her father. As I sit in the booth alone in an empty pub in Chicago, I’m left with dangerous thoughts. “Well, shoot me dead now. If it isn’t Nut.”

My eyes go wide at the raspy voice sounding out my embarrassing nickname as a child, a nickname only Y/N had given me. “Y/N?” I looked up and saw her. Her hair was black and her eyeliner was still smudged. Her eyes hide behind hazel contacts which made her look older and more reckless.

“I’ve heard things about you Nut. You’re not the same.” She slid into the booth and her warm hands clamped over mine, sending a shiver down my spine. “You’re wiser now. It’s frightening.”

I dared myself to ask her why, and I accepted it with fear seething through my voice. “Why?” I stumbled over the word and I mentally palmed myself for it.

“Because you know.” She said it so simply, it was scary really.

“So,” I gulped, “you did? You killed him?”  

She chuckled in her throat, never removing her hand from mine. She continued to chuckle which soon erupted into a cackle. “Obviously.” She said it before she looked around. “Well, Nut, I have to go. I’m going to kiss the sky real soon.”

I stopped her before she got away, “When can I see you. There are so many questions. Please?”

She smiled, “I’ll be kissing the sky, think about it.” Then, she pressed her soft lips to mine, and I stayed still before I let her speak, “Think about it Nut, you said the very same thing before.” Then she pressed her lips to mine before she scattered away.