Chapiter 28

Nearly two months had passed and things between Demi and Wilmer were as passionate as ever. Every weekend they spent together made the week of waiting harder. And especially for Wilmer, Demi was used to being alone, it didn't scare her and it didn't change her feelings for Wilmer. She still didn't feel ready to give up New York for him, but on the other hand she'd already put so much aside that it wasn't the geographical area that was going to change the situation. Even though things were going well with Wilmer, and she'd officially signed her contract with Scott, she couldn't help wondering "what if it doesn't work out?". Would she find herself out on the street and back at square one? Since leaving Karl's house and being attacked, she'd had very little contact with Kathy and the other girls, for fear that Karl would hear them and get involved. She felt like a coward, a coward to have left for a man, leaving behind those who had helped her through two long years of hard work. She had learned, however, that things had changed a little since she'd left, the pace was steadier, but the customers were relatively less affluent and many former clients had withdrawn. They were afraid she'd talk and expose their affair, or others wanted only her, and saw no point in using Karl services any more. Karl was a mess, the reputation of his business had taken a hit and he made his hatred of Demi known by taking it out on the other girls. Guilt gnawed at Demi day after day and she didn't know if it was better to leave and disappear in LA or to stay and try to help the girls... she didn't know how, but she couldn't let it happen in front of her. It was one of the few things Wilmer and Demi disagreed about. He absolutely didn't want her to get involved and have to deal with them again, but Demi couldn't see herself just leaving and forgetting about them. Even if that's what she'd already started to do.

Wilmer POV :

Today was a big day! A charity gala on behalf of my company was taking place tonight, and I'd asked Demi to come me. She was nervous at the idea of meeting my colleagues, friends and all the guests, who included a large number of influential actors and artists. I, on the other hand, couldn't wait to finally introduce her to the world and have her on my arm. She was so much more than what people might have imagined from journalists. I was working hard on her with my mother, who had agreed to make an effort. I know she wasn't thrilled with the idea of me being with Demi, let alone learning her true profession, but she could see how happy I was. Joe, Ryan and Nick will also be there tonight.
I hadn't seen or spoken to Ryan since that night at the club, but I couldn't wait to tell him how everything was going with Demi. I was so proud and looking forward to this gala, which took almost 7 months to organize.

One last look in the mirror and I'm ready.
Thank you! I say to my team of stylists and hairdressers.
I couldn't wait to get back to Demi, and I longed to lay eyes on her. She was in the next room with a team I'd also hired for her. When I walked in and laid eyes on her, my jaw dropped. She was simply divine.
- Wow, are you really human?
- You don't look bad too," she says, coming up to me and placing a kiss on my lips.
- Are you ready?
- Yes, I just need to put on my shoes and we can go.
- perfect.

In the car, I could feel Demi getting stressed. I tried to reassure her, but nothing worked. We've arrived. A horde of photographers is waiting for us and their scathing words can already be heard through the windows.

-I'm here, everything's going to be fine. You can stay with me from start to finish if you like. I said, putting my hand on her thigh.
- That was the plan. she says, giving me a shy smile.

When I arrived, I introduced Demi to my work colleagues and the director of my series. Everything went well and Demi seemed to get on well with people. I slipped away for a moment to get another drink and continue greeting other people. After 40 minutes, I'd completely forgotten about going back to Demi and was already talking to investors. I finally decide to go back to Demi, when I bump into
Ryan. He seemed more distant than usual and I still didn't know why. But this was neither the time nor the place to talk about it. That said, after a few minutes the atmosphere had calmed down and everything seemed to be back to normal.