Chapter 1

I wiped the bloody blade across the body of one of the Turned. His skin had been tainted black by the corrupting magics of Israphel. Perhaps the boy and I could have been friends. I don't even know his name.

I sheathed my swords and walked among the fallen. So many had died, on both sides. I plucked arrows from their corpses and slid them into my quiver.

I am an elven ranger. I wear green leather armor, and keep my blonde hair in a braid. My clothes are filthy - stained with dirt and blood.

Silence filled the woods. I stepped carefully, avoiding the bodies. 

My eyes flickered over to where something moved. A man was crawling across the forest floor. His skin was pale, with no hint of black.

I moved towards him. His eyes were blue. He was clinging to life. Blood was caked on his face from a wound on the top of his head. I knelt down next to him, and he looked up at me. I helped him sit up, and he sighed softly. I pulled us over to a nearby tree, away from prying eyes.

"Can I go home now?" His voice was hoarse and he began to cough. I pushed back his hair from his face and held his hand.

"Yes," I said softly. He smiled and nodded, closing his eyes. His chest continued to rise and fall. I gently stroked his hair and hummed softly. His head rested in my lap. He had been in battles he shouldn't have to face. 

Before my eyes, his body began to shimmer. His face and body changed from that of a soldier to that of a young boy of about ten. 

Then he vanished, returning home. I haven't really figured out how you get home. Those who die on the battlefield remain, so I'vev sadly assumed they truly die. It's not the best thought, but there's not much else to think.

I stood up and watched as the survivors trickled in to remove the bodies. They would be burned - the Turned and our own. I slipped into the tree, jumping from branch to  branch. Staying hidden from all the others. Some would call it paranoia, I call it staying safe.