Chapter 1

The cauldron was damp and cold. It wasn't as cold as outside of the cauldron, a snowstorm having picked up when Aloy and Erend had walked inside. The damp air added to the metal walls of the cauldron made the place feel colder than it was and Aloy couldn't be more ill prepared for the temperature. While she made extra care to bring the necessary weaponry and armor, she had not thought about the possibility of a snowstorm kicking up, let alone the fact that it'd make the area so damn cold. She risked a glance towards Erend, who seemed fine - if he was cold, he didn't show it. Aloy, on the other hand, was shivering so much she might just spontaneously combust. The machines roaming around the cauldron floor don't flood the entrance, it's only when they get to the factory floor that the machines start flooding them. Aloy could spot some Glinthawks and Ravagers patrolling the area. If they wanted to figure out just what that new machine HEPHAESTUS is manufacturing was capable of, they had to go deeper inside the belly of the beast, but Aloy was so cold, she felt like a clumsy fawn attempting to stand. She stayed close to Erend, hoping that despite their lack of skin contact he'd radiate some level of heat.

The air only seemed to get colder the closer Aloy and Erend got to the patrolling machines. The Ravagers could pack a punch, but they don't cause frost damage unlike the Glinthawks. Normally, Aloy would shoot down the birds with a few arrows, but she could barely feel her fingers at this point, so she went to pick a fight with the Ravagers while Erend dealt with the Glinthawks in her stead. One by one, Aloy stabbed through the armor of each Ravager and rolled out of the way whenever the machines retaliated.

By the time Aloy had finished off the last of the Ravagers, a bigger, much stronger one lunged for her from atop a platform. That particular Ravager had black armor and its eyes were filled with malice. It held her down with its sharp claws, its mouth inches from her face, charging up a powerful shock attack. Aloy could feel the acrid, electric sting of the shock as it struck her. Her attempts to kick the beast off of her were futile. With Erend preoccupied with the Glinthawks, Aloy had almost resigned to her fate. She was so cold and so very tired. Whatever strength she had simply began to vanish in the cold. It frightened her, to have fought this long and to die to a Ravager and hypothermia. Aloy squeezed her eyes shut, but the death she prepared herself for never came.

In fact, the machine tumbled off of her as it was hit with tremendous impact. Curious, she opened her eyes and sat up to see Erend quite literally turning the Ravager into a pile of scraps. Each swing of his hammer was meant to hurt and Aloy noticed that there was a glint of protective fury in his eyes.

When Erend was done, he made his way to Aloy, his soft gaze turning into one of concern. She was shivering and her exposed skin was red from frostbite. He had to get her somewhere warm or create a warm area fast. The cauldron was just as damp as it was cold and he doubted he could start a fire. Erend helped Aloy back up, "Let's get you somewhere warm, yeah?"

"M'yeah," Aloy mumbled, her speech was slurred and Erend was getting increasingly worried, "Erend, I'm cold."

Erend nodded, "I know, Brightspark."

Erend realized that the longer they stayed in the area, the worse Aloy's condition would become. Rushing to the closest little room, he was grateful the room was big enough for two people and the triangular light radiated some level of heat. They could stay there to regain their strength, so he grabbed a blanket from his pack and wrapped it around her body. Erend felt Aloy snuggle up to him. He couldn't know for certain if she was exhausted from her lack of sleep or hypothermia. All he could do was provide her with warmth and safety for the time she needs to regain her strength.

A few hours or a few minutes could have passed, Erend didn't know how long Aloy was asleep for. When she woke up, she had a lot more energy than she previously had. Heat seemed to have returned to her body since she wasn't shivering anymore and her skin was no longer red, but back to its natural pigmentation. Relief coursed through Erend's body, but it was short lived as Aloy was back on her feet, ready to go back out and fight. She turned to face Erend and helped him up, offering him a small smile, "Thanks for helping me back there."