Chapter 3

The forest seemed to grow thicker and its trees were so tall they were blocking out any source of light. Despite her injuries, Aloy ran. The screech that filled the cauldron walls now filled the eerily empty forest. The Shock Fury was catching up to her and her injuries only slowed her down. She was going to die. Or so she thought, an arrow whizzed past her and killed the machine in one fell swoop. With a final screech the Shock Fury hit the ground and its crimson eyes dimmed into lifelessness.

Aloy took a moment to catch her breath before looking up. She almost wished she hadn't looked up. There was still a large distance between her and the man, but she'd recognise him anywhere. Aloy took a step towards him, but her legs gave out as she tried to take another step. A strangled, broken sound escaped her lips, "...Rost?"

Rost didn't respond. He only stared at her in disappointment. Aloy couldn't make eye contact. As her eyes began to water, she could feel his gaze burning her. The moment she finally made eye contact with him, the control she had over her emotions shattered like glass. The first sob slipped through as she forced the words out of her mouth, "Rost please! Say something!"

As Rost turned his back on her, Aloy kept sobbing, hoping that the ground would just swallow her whole. It didn't and Rost simply walked away as she wailed and...

Aloy jolted awake. She blinked as she realized she was in the bedroom inside an abandoned cabin, but something was odd. She vaguely remembered being in Erend's arms, but his spot was empty and cold. Her ankle was so painful, she just wanted to perish right then and there.

"Erend?" Aloy called out, but she was met with deafening silence. She whimpered as she curled in on herself. She should be used to being alone at this point, but the loneliness hurts more than her ankle. Erend wouldn't have left her like this, but she was starting to doubt that. She knew Erend wouldn't abandon her, let alone when she was vulnerable. He was her most loyal companion and the way he cared so much about her well being and her comfort made her heart flutter.

Aloy didn't know how long she stayed like this, but she suddenly heard the door creaking and the heavy footsteps belonged to only one person... Erend. She perked up, but didn't move, her injuries weren't being merciful. Erend approached the room, "Aloy? Are you alright?"

Aloy whined in response. Erend took the liberty to approach her. Once he was close to her, she wrapped her arms around him in an embrace. She was nowhere near fine, but she wasn't about to tell him that. She was standing on the thin line of misery and warmth. Her nightmare replayed in the back of her mind and she didn't want to let him go. His embrace provided her some form of comfort. The sob that slipped through her lips startled both of them, "Please don't leave me alone like that again."

Erend rubbed her back softly, a silent attempt to comfort her, "I went hunting." Bewilderment laced his voice, "Fire and spit, Aloy, were you convinced I wasn't gonna come back?" Aloy nodded solemnly in response and Erend gently lifted her chin. Her tearful gaze shattered his entire being as more tears stained her cheeks. He then added, "I'll always come back to you no matter what, Brightspark."

Erend helped Aloy out of the bed and let her lean on him for support as they made their way to the living room. Erend helped her sit on the couch and went into the kitchen to clean his game. That cabin was thousands of years old so he wasn't sure if the electrical appliances were still functional. Once he was done cleaning the animal, he seasoned the meat and brought it to the hearth he had started early in the morning. Once the meat was fully cooked, Erend took it out of the hearth and handed Aloy a piece. He sat next to her and she didn't waste a second to start eating her food. Erend took his time to eat, he'd sometimes stop eating to tell her about what he'd been doing while she was asleep. He had fixed the bathroom's plumbing and started the fire in the hearth before going hunting. He took a bite from his food, "For the way that pork outsmarted me, it made for a very good breakfast."