Nov/Dec Trial - Part 1: Amon

It sure didn't feel like the world was coming to an end.

The sun shone down, bright and hot. There were no birds or butterflies in sight. Amon never would have known they'd been swarming thick enough to cover the sky just hours before.

He lounged against the porch railing, watching idly as three kids played innocently in the yard across the street. Normally, he'd consider playing with them. Not playing games with them, of course. At least, not anything they'd consider a game. He was too old for such frivolous things. No, if he were to join, there wouldn't be any more laughter coming from the house across the street.

Amon sighed. He didn't have to glance at his watch to know it was far too early for his liking. He almost never ventured from the safety of his abode in the daylight. And he only ever really played at midnight. Those children would be safe from him. At least, for now.

Instead, Amon got out his phone and sent a message to his roommate's girlfriend, Emily. He couldn't understand what his roommate saw in the human, but she had something he needed: that mysterious girl's number. What was her name? Nani? Nellie? Something like that, he was sure.

Ever since he'd met her at that bar, he hadn't been able to get her out of his mind. Something about her had attracted him almost instantly. He'd like to say it was her enigmatic allure, but it was so much simpler than that: she had the air of someone from another world.

The aura was faint, to be sure. But unmistakable. That's when he'd decided to take her home with him, to find out more about her.

He'd tried to go about it subtly. But really, how could one casually bring up travel between realms? In the end, he'd all but straight-out asked. She'd looked so confused, he'd almost convinced himself he'd just imagined that aura enveloping her. Until she'd left without her ring the next morning.

He'd found it on his nightstand that afternoon. As soon as he picked it up, he could feel the subtle wrongness that would invariably encapsulate anything not of this realm. Was this what he'd felt? He had to admit, the sensation was only slightly weaker than when she'd been standing here. But if it wasn't from her— if she was from this realm— where did she get the ring?

He'd decided to meet up with her after her shift. After all, she'd told him where she worked. Why would she do that if she had a problem with him dropping by? But she hadn't looked all that excited to see him. She was even less excited when he'd showed up at her apartment. He'd caught her and her sister jumping into a car as he made his way back to the parking lot.

Finally, he'd resorted to texting Emily. While his powers of persuasion were legendary in the Realm of Terror, they wouldn't do him any good if he couldn't track that girl down. Fortunately, Emily agreed to help almost immediately. Still, it took almost a full day to hear back with results. He was still watching the innocents playing across the street when his phone dinged.

He looked at the screen. Emily had sent an address. As the sun slipped behind the horizon, he finally left the porch. The children were still frolicking across the way, and he almost hated to leave them. But that was fine; he had more important things to do. He'd play with them tomorrow. As long as the world hadn't ended by then.