🦃Ch.6.5: Thanksgiving with a Jailbird

A/N: Happy Thanksgiving everyone, this chapter was a little rushed. But I hope you enjoy!!

Around year ago, before the events of DR3:Despair Arc, a few days before Thanksgiving...

As I'm in my office I can't help but think about how far I've come and all the obstacles I've overcome to get here. It's amazing how life can change in an instant, and today is the perfect example of that.

Thanksgiving will be even more special this year as I reflect on my journey to make it here and give thanks for all the opportunities that have come my way.

Suddenly, there's a knock at the door, interrupting my thoughts. I quickly say, "Go away. I'm leaving for Thanksgiving, for goodness sake!" However, when I open the door, I'm surprised to see a person standing there, looking visibly distressed.

Despite my initial frustration, I quickly put on a positive and helpful demeanor, inviting the potential client in and asking how I could help them.

"I'm sorry to disturb you, but I need your help." the person says. "My friend has been arrested for illegally shooting a turkey." I raise an eyebrow, intrigued by the unusual situation. Curiosity piqued, I motioned for them to continue and ask for more details about the incident.

As they explained, I couldn't help but feel a pang of sympathy for their friend. It seemed that their friend, who was poor, had resorted to hunting for food for Thanksgiving and had unknowingly shot a turkey on private property.

The person explained that their friend was unfamiliar with the laws and had acted out of desperation. I reassured them, saying, "Alright, I'll take your friend's case." I say

It's just a simple case of a hunting violation. I think I can do this... No problem.

I gathered all the necessary information and documents related to the hunting incident and headed to meet with my client.

An hour later...

As I walked into my client's house, I could see the worry and anxiety written on his face. I approached him and offered a comforting smile, "Nice to meet you; I'm Alan Hall, your attorney. I understand that you're concerned about the charges filed against you, but rest assured, you're going to be okay."

I could sense the tension in the room as my client nervously fidgeted with their hands, saying, "Th-Thank you for taking my case, Mr. Hall. I never imagined I w-would find myself wr-wrapped up in this."

I reassured them, "I know it's a difficult time for you, but remember that we will thoroughly investigate the incident and build a strong defense strategy. We'll do everything we can to ensure a positive outcome."

I could see a glimmer of hope in my client's eyes as they nodded, their voice wavering as they replied, "I...I appreciate that, Mr. Hall. It's just...I never thought I would need a defense attorney. I feel like my whole life has been turned upside down." I leaned forward, placing a comforting hand on their arm, and replied, "I understand how overwhelming this must be for you. But trust me, I'll fight for your rights and do whatever it takes to protect your future."

Taking a deep breath, I exited the house with my client, and we took a taxi to meet the prosecution and their client. As I arrived at the meeting, I made it clear that my intention was to negotiate a deal that would not involve prison time for my client. I presented strong evidence and compelling arguments, emphasizing how poor my client was and how their circumstances had led them to make the choices they did.