~ 8 ~

The fourth of July in Cousins is all about traditions.

Susannah decks out the whole house, the dad's come up for the weekend, they boys steam clams and shoot off fireworks.

All the other Forth of Julys, Belly and I were just tagging along. But this year, we had friends. We had plans.

I was having breakfast with Jeremiah and Belly.

All of a sudden, Susannah and Steven walked into the kitchen.

"Girls" Susannah catched our attention. "You need to hurry up and get yourselves some escorts for the ball. If not, one of you will have to take them"

"Ew, no way" Belly said, making me laugh.

"Yeah, no. I'm already going with Shayla" Steven agreed with Belly. He looked at me as soon as he said her name.

"To the deb ball?" Lauren entered the kitchen. "As an escort?"

"Get used to it mom" Steven laughed. "Shayla is coming today with Nicole and Gigi, so you'll meet her"

"That's wonderful" Susannah cheered. "Oh, and doesn't forget that the dance rehearsal is tomorrow morning, so, tick-tock" She hurried us.

"I'm asking Cam today" Belly said calmly.

"You Kaia? Are you asking Silas?" Mom asked me.

"I still need to gain the confidence to ask him" I answered.

"Oh, Bells, I need you to prepare you father and Victoria's room in the guest room" Laurel suddenly changed the subject.

"Wait, dad is coming with Victoria?" Steven asked, and Lauren nodded. Belly groaned.

"Oh, speaking of dads" Susannah said. "Your's called. He's closing a deal, so, he can't come"

"Wait, dad is not coming?" Jeremiah said with a hint of sadness. "But I got some serious fireworks for the show this year"

"We'll take a video" Susannah said.

"It's not the same" Jere muttered as Conrad entered the room.

Once I finished my breakfast, I went to the backyard to smoke a quick cigarette before my dad arrived at the house.

"Give me one?" Conrad sat down besides me. I took out the pack again and pulled one for him.

"Sorry that your dad isn't coming" I said to him.

"I don't really care, honestly" He shrugged his shoulders. "I think it's better"

"Why it would be better?" I looked at him confused.

A sudden honk made us both looked back.

"That must be John" I said to Conrad. The both of us left out cigarettes and runned inside the house. We found Belly, Steven and Jere spying from the front door's little window.

We saw Susannah and Laurel receiving Victoria and Belly's dad.

"She's hot" Jeremiah said as we looked at them though the window. I hitted him in the chest by the comment.

"Don't say that" I said looking at him.

When we saw the parents approaching the door, Conrad, Jere and I runned outside.

About an hora later, I just finished getting ready in my room. I was wearing the two pice set that Steven got for my birthday. I did my everyday makeup and put on some simple sandals.

A sudden knock made me open the door.

"Come in!" I yelled as I finished adjusting my earring.

The door opened, and my dad entered my bedroom.