6. Boy it's you that I lie with

Max Verstappen

The world is quiet and the world is all theirs.

He lays in bed, once again unable to sleep- but this time because he's got a sleepy Charles in his arms, facing his chest. The Monacan man lays in his arms, dressed down in just some sweats and with his arms curled in against his own chest. His cheeks are puffy and flushed, his eyes are closed- hair a bit of a mess but Max can't stop staring. This is how last night should've ended and he'll kick himself forever that he fucked up as bad as he did- but it seems like Charles has forgiven him at least enough for now.

There's a smile on Charles lips as Max decides to push a hand through his hair- putting it back into place as well as he can.

For now and the foreseeable future? They're friends. But Max couldn't be happier. If being friends with Charles meant that he got to hold him this close- he was one lucky friend.

"Stop staring..." Comes a soft whisper from Charles, he doesn't even open his eyes to say it and Max can't help but chuckle a little- shaking his head as he diverts his eyes back towards the Tv where it plays on the opposite wall, quiet as to not distract them from their rest.

"I'm sorry. I'm just...-happy you're so settled and that I get to lay with you again. Properly this time." Max says before continuing. "I'm very happy we're dressed down this time. Didn't very much like cuddling in jeans and a belt- or above the covers for that matter."

Charles chuckles some and he nods, agreeing with Max's words. His hands and arms shift- Max watching and feeling as Charles comes to wrap one over his waist and the other hand smooths against the Dutch drivers chest.

The feeling is new, it's scary- Max's heart beating a little faster but he tries not to let it get to him. He wouldn't let it get to him if it was Daniel, Pierre, Lando. He knows that it's because it's Charles and because he so desperately wants to be good enough for him. But Max has barely accepted being... not straight yet- so touches this intimate still feel a little scary.

"You're so... calm. You're so relaxed, Charlie."  Max speaks softly and feels his hand down over Charles back before speaking again. "I've never seen you this lax before..." He says it with a chuckle, almost as to tease but it's clear it's not as much of a laughing matter to Charles. His eyes open just a bit and he allows his eyes to flicker over Max's face, causing the other to flush up just a bit.

"What?" Max asks, his own eyes searching and careful- as if to try and understand what Charles wanted to say. But another moment of silence passes before Charles is finally speaking up and as he does- he feels his hand over Max's chest just a little. As if to comfort himself.

"I haven't been sleeping well... for a long time, you know? Since well- everything. First Jules and then Papa and now this year? It's all been a little too much. I'm afraid to be away from Mama too long and I don't like knowing my brother's in an F2 car, no matter how proud of him I am. I'm always thinking of what I can lose, what I've already lost- how fragile and small life is and it's always worse at night..." Charles speaks and Max is silent- just watching the other with gentle eyes, rubbing small circles on his back to try and comfort the other the best he can.

"Being here with you, laying here and sleeping next to you? It makes it a little easier. You're warm- a tiny bit bigger than me, holding me down onto earth so I don't fly away. If anything happens... I won't be alone when getting the news. That's... That's why I asked you to come the other night. I couldn't stop thinking disaster thoughts and I knew you'd help." Charles admits and Max isn't sure if he should smile or cry, just letting out heavy sigh as he leans in- pushing his nose into Charles' hair as he hugs the other driver closer.