Chapter 17: UNCOVERING THE TRUTH

Yolanda's POV

I'm becoming more worried about my best friend, her time to exit this life is rapidly approaching, and she is dying slowly within.

Her doctor has been disturbing me about how close her end is, if only she will listen to me and let go of everything we could go to the hospital for her treatment and probably have a chance to live for another month.

Joanna can be a terrific rebel, worst still, since the day she was diagnosed of having stage three cancer and has only three months to live but could live for a year if she gets admitted to the hospital for chemotherapy my best friend has bluntly refused to stay in the hospital.

She would often say that there is no need to waste money trying to preserve her life when she will eventually die in a year. It hurts to hear those heart-wrenching words from her however, I won't give up on persuading her to give in and get admitted to the hospital as the one week of her life is already about to elapse.

It will be hard for me to do nothing and to witness her gone too soon when we had always planned to live our life to the fullest.

Sometimes life can be so unfair to us that we would sit on our own to ask questions believing in a God to hear us and give us the answers we want to hear but unfortunately, some answers never arrived and in the end, we are forced to find the answers ourselves by working out our ass through the formulas provided in life and at times when there happens to be no clue we are required to solve the puzzle on our own without prior knowledge of how we should do it.

This is why I don't seem to disagree with one of my favourite quotes " Life is a teacher and we are the students who learn from life's past experiences." As I reminisced through I found that my mind had wandered too far so I picked up my phone to call Joanna moments after texting her but unfortunately, I got distracted as my doorbell rang, distracting me.

I had gone back to my apartment since Joanna would be staying with Chris and I wasn't expecting a visitor because my boyfriend had called to tell me that he will be attending a business meeting overseas.

So who could it be at this unholy hour of the night? I asked myself as I walk down to check who it was because I remember that I did not ask for it, I hope it is not a stalker because a few have been bothering me these days.

" Joanna? "

She stuck her face in through the door, immediately I opened it.

" Why are you so surprised to see me? Were you expecting to see someone else tonight?" She asked and pushed me aside to walk in.

I stood at the door looking at her as she collapsed on the couch, " Why should I not be surprised when a few minutes ago I had messaged you to come around but you said you were at Chris's house and won't be available? What happened and why are you here looking like a deflated chipmunk?" I asked with a frown on my face.

" Nothing," She shrugged... "I changed my mind and decided to give you a surprise visit. Be grateful for once." Joanna replied.

I wanted to believe her because I felt somehow convinced yet something still seemed off.

" Stop lying to me! I'm not dumb, Joanna" I uttered with suspicion.

" Fine. I left his house because he has been lying and acting strange towards me lately." She answered finally giving in.

I suspected a situation like that from the moment she arrived looking so done with life.

" I need some time away from him, till then keep me safe. Goodnight pumpkin." She concluded.

Before I could give a reply, she had fallen asleep like a log of wood.

I don't know what happened or transpired between them but the more I thought about it I suspected that they must have had a fight I wanted to wake her up and tell her to come with me to the hospital tomorrow but after thinking it through I left her to sleep and went to my bedroom to sleep.