Chapter 28: THE RITUAL

Joanna's POV

With my fingers locked between my best friend's fingers, we took a walk to the hospital reception... Initially, I pleaded with her to join me on the rooftop but she refused and took me to the reception hall to keep an eye on me.

I wanted a calm space to relax and think about something different and more interesting than my life... It's been quite a hurdle for twenty-seven years, so I want to take a break.

While we were having a conversation, tears were flowing freely down Yolanda's cheeks, at first, I attempted to stop her from creating such a show and causing embarrassment in the reception hall as people would overthink it.

She was drawing curiosity from patients and the health workers... I'm popular, so people were interested in knowing why I was in the hospital.

"Cut the crap, short paragraph," I said, my face flushed in embarrassment.

" Joanna!"

I swerved in the direction of the voice when I heard someone call my name, puzzled and curious to see who it was that knew me except Yolanda, I had not booked an appointment with the doctor so, who could it be?

My face was a bit burdened...

It was Axen approaching with a mischievous smile on her face. I paused the conversation to have a better view, maybe I was been deceived by my eyesight.

I tapped my best friend on the shoulder to help me confirm the identity of the person approaching us.

" It's Axen... Shouldn't you recognize your boyfriend's best friend by now?" She replied.

My once smiling face turned into a frown the moment she stood before me... I don't hate her, it's just that I don't like her awful personality.

I squinted for a confirmation and behind her was Chris... I felt relieved for some reason.

"At least I can smile now"I assured myself.

One and a million thoughts flooded my mind the moment I saw them together, finally, Axen have won over me I supposed.

My best friend looked at me and was like " What the fuck? " I shrugged at her because I do not know what was going on.

" Hey ladies," Chris greeted the both of us. Axen wept across a reluctant " Hi " as she squeezed past us to find a seat somewhere else.

Yolanda did not give a shit about her arrogance neither did I. After all, I was too concerned about the sudden appearance of Chris when I did not inform him about my whereabouts.

Or did he use his powers to find out my location? I'm awestruck.

I glared at Yolanda, " Could it be that you..." I could not complete the statement because it somehow didn't sit right with me.

I turned to face Chris and asked what brought him to the hospital after he had chosen to go into exile because of what he overheard rather than being a man and ask me about it.

"I...I didn't..."

"You didn't what?!"

There was an awkward silence between us for a few minutes. Chris could not answer what I had asked him, I guess he was feeling nervous around me.

Still, I was glad that he finally took the bold step to visit me in the hospital and pay his last respect.

" I have great news," He replied finally breaking the silence.

I became elated, " Okay. I'm not in for any surprises but bring it on, I'll decide if it's worth listening to." I replied a bit uninterested.

" There is a secret I never told you, Joanna... Not out of my will but it's because I was never told about it."