Chapter 3 A New Job

I never really understood why everyone in this town was so... whats the word? Ah, always afraid, always scared—yes,  there were exceptions, like the women in the diner. But everyone else was off. The small glimpses of neighbors hurrying off to work and the kids of the apartment lining up at the bus stop and getting picked up by a yellow school bus with the district name on it Everyone always seemed skittish.

As I finished my thought, I looked around my apartment. I had spent all night unpacking tirelessly; I couldn't sleep. I mean, who could? Some guy I never knew who was apparently my new next-door neighbor was murdered in cold blood. I shivered at the thought. I stretched and walked over to the fully unpacked kitchen, where I decided to make some coffee to help me stay awake.

I grabbed a coffee pod and put it in the coffee maker, closing the top and clicking the button as I heard the machine turn on. I sit down on the couch, taking out my notepad.

̶C̶a̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶r̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶
̶G̶e̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶k̶e̶y̶s̶
Unpack
Get a job.
Make friends?

As I crossed out the 'Unpack' goal, I took a big sigh, tilting my head to the side and staring at the 'Get a job' on the paper. 'It couldn't be that hard,' I reassured myself. Suddenly, my phone started ringing.

Sissy

I took a sigh once again as I clicked the green answer button on my phone.

"Heyyyy," my sister dragged out her words, "how's the new place goin'?"

"Fine." I pondered telling her about the killings, but I didn't want her to get worried and try to convince me to come back. "I'm doing good; it's great here," I reassured her.

"That's great! I was just checking up on my favorite sister," she said in a kiddish tone, her voice high. "Have you unpacked yet?"

"Yeah, I just finished unpacking my last box."

"That's good, that's good." She paused for a second, trying to think of what to say to pry more into my personal life. "How's the job hunting going?"

"Eh."

"Eh?"

"I mean, I haven't gotten one yet. I was planning to go into town today, I guess." My words are unsure. I wasn't really planning on going into town; I actually didn't want to fraternize at all and live off my savings until I was forced to get a job.

"Hm, that's good; at least you have a plan," she hummed out. "I'm glad that you're doing what you want to do. You've always tried and followed Anthony's path; you never got to do what you wanted." She mumbled to herself.

"Yeah, I'm glad too." I breathed sharply. "It really is beautiful here; it's serene and peaceful." I fiddled with my hands, and this conversation turned awkward.

"I bet."

*BEEP* *BEEP* *BEEP*

"Oh! That's my coffee."

"Hey sis, I'm going to head off; I just wanted to check in. Make sure you're okay."

"Ok, bye, Silvie," the lovely nickname, rolled off my tongue.

"Bye."

BEEP

I head over to the kitchen to pour myself a cup of the newly brewed coffee. I walk to my bedroom, laying out and changing into something else besides my pajamas.

The sky was a dark gray, and the leaves had fallen off every tree for miles, remnants of their former glory on the ground. I milled around passing stores and shops, but none of them were hiring until I passed a small book store with a homemade 'hiring now' sign in one of the front windows. It looked pretty cozy and secluded, just how I liked it. I walked into the bookstore, opening the door and closing it behind me. The bell on the door rung

"Welcome!" I heard a deep yet strung male voice in the back stocking books. "I saw the hiring sign in the front," I yelled into the somewhat abyss of the bookstore. "Uh, yeah we're hiring." The male voice got closer to you before you saw a tall, raven-haired young man only a few years older than me. "Uh hi, I'm Asher," he said, sticking out his hand. "I'm Y/N; I'm new in town and need a job." I said bluntly, "Oh, straight to the point, I like you." He smirked as he pushed his long hair out of his face. His features were striking; he had a hooked nose and pale skin, and were those snakebite piercings and tattoos on his arms? I guess everyone here wasn't a country bumpkin.

"So, I've got to ask you a few questions before I hire you." He walked over to the computer behind the check-out counter, walking right past me.
"Shoot." He chuckled, "Have you ever committed a felonie?" He asked casually and calmly, "Not to my knowledge." I remarked, "Good, you're hired." He looked up, "That's it?" "Yup, that's it."

"Welcome to town, Y/N."

"Thanks?"