Chapter 2 - James

The aftermath of that night haunts me. The betrayal, the bloodshed, the loss—it all replays in my mind like a never-ending nightmare. I never thought I would be faced with such a situation, forced to confront the possibility that my own brother, Owen, could commit such a heinous act. But deep down, I know that there is more to this story than meets the eye. I need answers, and I'm determined to find them.

Days turn into weeks, and weeks turn into months as I try to make sense of what happened. The pain in my heart remains, but I refuse to let it consume me. Life must go on, even in the face of tragedy. I spend my days tending to the tasks that keep our small camp running smoothly, gathering supplies, and fortifying our defences.

The others in our camp look at me differently now. They whisper among themselves, casting wary glances in my direction. They can't comprehend what happened that night, and their suspicion only adds to the weight on my shoulders. But I can't blame them. They didn't witness the horror, the frenzied chaos that tore our once unbreakable bond apart.

As time passes, news arrives of other survivors, other communities. I hear tales of a group to the east, offering refuge and safety. It's a glimmer of hope in the darkness that surrounds us. Perhaps there, among strangers, I can find solace and uncover the truth.

With a heavy heart, I make the decision to leave the camp behind. I can no longer stay where the memories of that night linger in every corner. As I gather my belongings, I catch sight of Owen's bloodied knife, the one he held in his hand as I confronted him. The weapon serves as a reminder—a symbol of the pain and the unanswered questions that continue to haunt me.